LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What's a Good Forecast for Surfing Virginia Beach?

I found the site recently and have been checking the weather forecasts for the past few weeks. In that time the highest waves I've seen come up are shoulder high-ish choppy/bumpy waves. Is shoulder high about the best to hope for, for Virginia Beach? Is it reasonable to surf choppy/bumpy waves when they're a certain height?

Maybe the question best asked is: what is good forecast for VB? I'm a few hours away so I want to make sure it's decent out there before making the trip. Cheers!

Images

Recommendations

Recommendations come, and recommendations go. Nothing beats eyes on the water, especially in VahBeach.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSurfer View Post
    Recommendations come, and recommendations go. Nothing beats eyes on the water, especially in VahBeach.
    Very helpful, as always.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mmasters View Post
    I found the site recently and have been checking the weather forecasts for the past few weeks. In that time the highest waves I've seen come up are shoulder high-ish choppy/bumpy waves. Is shoulder high about the best to hope for, for Virginia Beach? Is it reasonable to surf choppy/bumpy waves when they're a certain height?

Maybe the question best asked is: what is good forecast for VB? I'm a few hours away so I want to make sure it's decent out there before making the trip. Cheers!
    local knowledge is the best forecasting system sad to say it but it is the truth. with that you can compare the conditions to the forecasted conditions and decide if it is worth going or not. therefore you never know till you go

What everyone else said or you can try calling a local surf shop for conditions. They usually have some good info.

LOL well I guess the site is useless then!

Surely there must be some people here that can give some general advice and experience using the forecast as a guide.

Quote Originally Posted by mmasters View Post
    what is good forecast for VB? I'm a few hours away so I want to make sure it's decent out there before making the trip. Cheers!
    good forecast for VB: smaller and weaker than everywhere else

Images
    If I think I understand what you are asking, you want to know what the best swell scenario is for Virginia Beach?

VB is best on a SE or a NE swell. The biggest problem for VB, is the common S wind swells that we see in the Mid Atlantic move right on by the VA area, because Hatteras sticks out to the south and blocks the swell.

The best wind for VB is going to be anywhere from SW to WNW, with WSW being the optimal/cleanest.

I hope that helps!

PS. if you are driving 3 hours to get to VB, you might want to think about driving a little further down to Hatteras. After all, the VA surfer's claim to fame is being close to the Outer Banks - arguably the best surf locale on the east coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    If I think I understand what you are asking, you want to know what the best swell scenario is for Virginia Beach?

VB is best on a SE or a NE swell. The biggest problem for VB, is the common S wind swells that we see in the Mid Atlantic move right on by the VA area, because Hatteras sticks out to the south and blocks the swell.

The best wind for VB is going to be anywhere from SW to WNW, with WSW being the optimal/cleanest.

I hope that helps!

PS. if you are driving 3 hours to get to VB, you might want to think about driving a little further down to Hatteras. After all, the VA surfer's claim to fame is being close to the Outer Banks - arguably the best surf locale on the east coast.
    Yeah, I'm just trying to determine what is a reasonable forecast for VB to make it worthwhile to make the 2 hour trip. Like say, how often does VB get CLEAN shoulder or head high waves? If I'm willing to make the trip say once a month what's the reasonable best I could expect to look out for in the forecast (outside of a hurricane swell or some such)?

You should ask a lifeguard. They know everything about the ocean they reside by for three months a year.