Yes, THE BWD. Or Set Wave Dave as I've begun to call him. It's a basic fact that BWD is an amazing surfer, espcecially for his age. But, what the F; is he the all time biggest wave hog, or is it just me? Granted, I think he's been surfing our waters probably longer than most guys still out in the lineups and because of that he is due his fair share... but, the loony sonnova gets every single set wave that rolls through, and is not ashamed to snake those waiting their turn. Just curious about people's opinions of the guy.
Anyways, surf was fun Friday evening at northside. Although there was a nice fight in the water, which ruined the vibe for a good 15 minutes or so. Saturday morning no one was around and there were some real fun ones rolling though as the tide came in.
I just happen to be a proud longboard man myself. I don't know why anyone ever surfs shortboards at NIRI when it's not well overhead. It's so obviously a longboard wave and the shorties just end up picking up the scraps and/or getting in the way on the inside. I am NOT trying to start the stupid longboard vs. shortboard debate, I respect 'em both equally ... but NIRI is just pretty obvious to me a break for longboarding. Unless of course it's cookin (maybe 10 or 15 times a year), then it's open for all kinds of bidniss.
Anyhoo, my questions was on BWD. The dude is a legend, but a wave hog that is about 5beers short of a six pack. Gotta love his stoke factor though....it's off the charts.
I don't know why anyone ever surfs shortboards at NIRI when it's not well overhead. It's so obviously a longboard wave and the shorties just end up picking up the scraps and/or getting in the way on the inside. I am NOT trying to start the stupid longboard vs. shortboard debate, I respect 'em both equally
I don't agree with that at all...had countless fun sessions at chest high northside on a 5'10 fish or the like. No doubt you've seen Harrell Jr. shred that wave on a shortboard when its 3-4 foot. Your statement shorties inside getting in the way could easily be turned around...i sometimes feel like the guys gritting their teeth, looking like they're trying to **** a brick paddling a tanker in from the outside are getting in MY way. So its just about point of view i guess.
As far as BWD goes, no comment, but that big cohort of his Jeff or Geoff (whatever), has bugged the crap out of me for years with his wave hogging, snaking moves.
Last edited by mitchell; May 18, 2009 at 04:21 PM.
Yeah I guess my statement was pretty dumb. Good shortboarders really can surf anything, it seems, but I just feel if you had to classify the break in general it's more suitable for longboarding, most of the time. Just an opinion of mine. If I were into shortboarding moreso than riding logs I'd tend to hit OC because it always seems faster/steeper/more hollow than what's typically rolling through NIRI.
I think you're right it's total perspective issue....kooky longboarders sitting a mile deep and trying for anything coming through are just as bad as kooky shortboarders sitting inside. Most of the time I just drift down towards the cove once crowds become an issue.
Praying some of the old spots of 5 years ago light up again before they get dredged into submission yet again.
1. If you have a probelm with BWD, say it to his face. Don't be a punk and litter the forum when there is no picture of your face. Like him or not, he puts his pants on the same way you do every morning.
2. Local boy had to throw some smack down on some kook in the line up. I don't like fights, but the locals need to remind the world of who's backyard it is. It wasn't 15 minutes. It was 5 minutes. Understand where you are at. I surf with him all the time and he i
3. Clearly the real local boys would rather surf a steeper wave, but NIRI was the only place working. And none of the local rippas were surfing a board over 5'10"'. So to say the least, they were in control and taking/ripping every wave. There were a couple of blokes on 5'6"'s OUTSIDE WITH LOGGERS, and out paddling them!
4. NORTH SIDE BLOWS. I've seen inexperienced girls take set waves there. With that being said, If you want to take off outside like a lil girl, go outside and take off.
5. If you have something to say to BWD or another local boy, say it to there face. Topic over.