LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Is Magicseaweed Accurate?

So, I have been researching wave consistency back east using the recorded/average data posted on magicseaweed.com

Is this website accurate? Give or take?

It lists, in general order, the breaks in this order.

Melbourne Beach, FL: 46%

Hatteras: 42% over all ridable days per year

Kill Devil Hills: 36%

Virginia Beach: 28%

OC New Jersey: 27%

OC MD: 24%

Carolina/Wrightsville Beach: 18%

Folly Beach, SC 16%

So, the shockers is Carolina/Wrightsville Beach. It says that there are less than 20% of ridable windswell days each year. Yet, it logs that Atlantic Beach gets about DOUBLE the overall swell that Carolina Beach does...

I know that talking about consistency is usually just a crap shoot. It is everyone's opinion on the matter. How many days they "remember" each year. But this is 10 years of averaged data supposedly...

The define a wave in 7 second period or more, breaking at least 3 feet in wave face.

So, is carolina beach really this flat? Or is this data a little innaccurate?

18% of the year = about 66 days a year=5.4 days a month. I'd say thats a bit of an under call, but not too far off. Based on the fact that I'll probably surf at least waist high waves, at least one weekend a month, I'd say it's closer to 25-30%. But, (about your comparison to AB/CB), assuming this data is based on buoys, do they take into account swell angle? For instance, a buoy near ab (I'm assuming the buoy is out closer to cape lookout) might pick up more swell because it's so much further out than WB, but what if it's North or Easterly swell, AB won't break like what the buoy reads. You have any data for the west coast? I'd be interested in their consistency v. ours. Thanks for posting this, it's cool to see something tangible for what is mainly recorded in memory.

Magic Seaweed sucks for southeast coast predictions. Especially when it's gonna be mediocre. Rideable days have alot more to do with the surfer than the surf 50% of the time.

Images
    well, if the data is based on buoys than u r right. I just assumed that the averages were based on recorded swell data that actually arrive, but now that u mention it;it probably isjust based o buoys

as far as california data, they have that too. im at work so I don't have the exact number, but san diego has ridable swell 70 plus percent of thetime. the main differencee other than consisttncy is that the east coast records almost all swell as local wind swell. cali is like 90percent groundswell.

so, the 75 percent consitency is about right ince I surf every day all year and there are probably 20 to 25 days a year that get smallerthan waist high. even days here that technically don't record good ridable swell, I always find at least a 2 foot nugget at the right tide.

so, while the data seems generally accurate, the carolina wrightsville areas 20 percent surfable wave figure seems really low. but then again, I've never been

70 plus percent of thetime
    90percent groundswell
    I hate the west coast.

Yeah, I think 20% is a bit of a low ball figure as well, probably closer to 30ish.

Images
    magicseaweed is such a big name that they can pretty much put anything on their site and get a fair amount of people to believe it. I just go there for the crazy pictures.

Percentages

SE NC is really small compared to nearly everywhere. I am always surprised by how infrequent we get fun surf. I'd say 18% is high for rideable days (unless you like charging knee - thigh bombs). For Instance, here there is an assignment for wave heights based on every inch of the body (ankle, shin, knee, thigh, waist, stomach, chest, shoulder, head, etc.) San Diego's 70% seems accurate too, but don't be fooled, they may have the higher intervals, but it is generally very small there too, just not as shapeless and gutless as here. There they only use a portion of our body measurements too: flat, waist, chest, head, overhead, well overhead, double overhead. Once you go north of point conception, the swell frequency goes way up, but the conditions suffer more (resulting in less rideable surf). At the end of the day, a rideable wave is ultimately one that you want to surf, regardless of a percentage. There is more to a surfing experience than the quality of surf.

I'd bet if you asked Kelly Slater if he'd rather surf epic Superbank or perfect Sebastion Inlet, you'd probably be surprised by the answer

they are good with local wind predictions, (thanks NOAA)
    swell seems calculated, instead of forecasted with local knowledge. But remember, their rating system goes for a full 24 hour day. the spectral breakdown and detailed forecast is better, but it's no swellinfo.

I'd bet if you asked Kelly Slater if he'd rather surf epic Superbank or perfect Sebastion Inlet, you'd probably be surprised by the answer
    Anybody loves their homebreak when it's goin off.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCsurfer View Post
    magicseaweed is such a big name that they can pretty much put anything on their site and get a fair amount of people to believe it. I just go there for the crazy pictures.
    I am a 12 year old kid, so when the forecast says stomach high, thats for the average adult around 6 foot, so for me at 4'6 that is around head high so i charge every day.