LOGIN | REGISTER

Images

Hey Mid Atlantic: Riddle me this

Ok, So i posted this on the southeast surf forum, there were 100 reads and no replies. I expect a little MidATL bias to the following responses, but the main reason I am posting this here is because this is the most active section in the forum:

Disclaimer: I am from OCMD. But I am being objective

So, I have been researching wave consistency back east using the recorded/average data posted on magicseaweed.com

Is this website accurate? Give or take?

It lists, in general order, the breaks in this order.

Melbourne Beach, FL: 46%

Hatteras: 42% over all ridable days per year

Kill Devil Hills: 36%

Virginia Beach: 28%

OC New Jersey: 27%

OC MD: 24%

Carolina/Wrightsville Beach: 18%

Folly Beach, SC 16%

So, the shockers is Carolina/Wrightsville Beach. It says that there are less than 20% of ridable windswell days each year. Yet, it logs that Atlantic Beach gets about DOUBLE the overall swell that Carolina Beach does...

I know that talking about consistency is usually just a crap shoot. It is everyone's opinion on the matter. How many days they "remember" each year. But this is 10 years of averaged data supposedly...

The define a wave in 7 second period or more, breaking at least 3 feet in wave face.

So, is carolina beach really this flat? Or is this data a little innaccurate?

Images
    i wouldn't look too far into stats like this...

But, this is what I would say from the regions you are looking at. Yes, Florida and North Carolina see the most consistent swell (larger wave heights), followed by the Mid Atlantic, and then Southeast.

Images
    I have used this data extensively when planning trips, and I must say it is very helpful. You have to be careful when reading it, but it has a useful purpose for sure. MS has upgraded their models and I make it a hobby of comparing it and other sites to locations that I know and have current real time data from. While none of the sites are perfect, the science is getting better. We are lucky to have these tools nowadays, it beats the old method of going and preying for sure.

Images
    Zach,

The MSW data may not translate to surfability for at least two reasons that come to mind right away:

I think their data is coming from well offshore buoy locations and doesn't consider nearshore factors that make a ton of difference...Take VA bch and OCMD - average offshore seas conditions may be the same (28% - 24% 3+ foot days ) but for actual surfable days, OCMD is more consistent.

They dont consider wind conditions at all. Melbourne, FLA may have a ton of 3 foot windswell days all winter long but guess what..the wind is blowing onshore at 10-20 on most of them.

I'd say Rodanthe or Buxton get the most consistently good surf on the east coast.

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Ok, So i posted this on the southeast surf forum, there were 100 reads and no replies. I expect a little MidATL bias to the following responses, but the main reason I am posting this here is because this is the most active section in the forum:

Disclaimer: I am from OCMD. But I am being objective

So, I have been researching wave consistency back east using the recorded/average data posted on magicseaweed.com

Is this website accurate? Give or take?

It lists, in general order, the breaks in this order.

Melbourne Beach, FL: 46%
    Hatteras: 42% over all ridable days per year
    Kill Devil Hills: 36%
    Virginia Beach: 28%
    OC New Jersey: 27%
    OC MD: 24%
    Carolina/Wrightsville Beach: 18%
    Folly Beach, SC 16%
    I would call that data very representative in the rank ordering. Melbourne and Hatteras are basically a statistical wash. VaBeach should be somewhat lower than NJ and OC/Md. Southern North Carolina and South Carolina are right where they should be. If the data were "statistically normalized" than Hatteras would be a 98 and Folly Beach would be a 5, on a range of 1-100.

Images

Melbourne

From personal comparison over the past two years that I've been checking back and forth at http://www.surfguru.com/florida-surf-reports.aspx. I'd have to say that OBX and OCM, and NJ are all far more consistent than Melbourne. Yes, the water's more consistently warm down there, but I can't say the same for the waves by a long shot. Cocoa is just Mush Central.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSurfer View Post
    From personal comparison over the past two years that I've been checking back and forth at http://www.surfguru.com/florida-surf-reports.aspx. I'd have to say that OBX and OCM, and NJ are all far more consistent than Melbourne. Yes, the water's more consistently warm down there, but I can't say the same for the waves by a long shot. Cocoa is just Mush Central.
    Cocoa is a bit clustered under the cape. Further south like Melbourne Beach is better.

Images
    yeah, I kind of factored in the onshore wind with the florida data.

the area that shocked me was southern n.c.

maybe since wrightsville claims itself to be "surf city" on the east coast, I just assumed there was a lot of smaller wave action down there, but somewhat consistent. and the ms data basically contradicts that idea. obviously, hatteras takes the cake for consistnecy. oc md has the most ideal wid setups when good swell does come. its offshore like 80 percent of the time, but the water is ice cold. I just thought wrightsvile and cb held more ground in the surfing world. since it is such a cultural hub of surfing back east, I just assumed there r just as many waves as oc md down there and the reason its morepopular to surf because its got warm water...

I only have data like ms and old memories of oc md to base this off of.