LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobfromFredneck View Post
    what does income/standard of living have to do with a quality surf town?.
    SURF
    TOWN

what good is the surf, if the average surfer can't afford to live within 30 minutes of the waves. For example, La Jolla has a bunch of great breaks and the vibe in the water is just peachy but 99.9% of us couldn't live, work, and surf there because of income and standard of living issues. So the surf is there just not the town part, IMO.

I would put some spots in Rhode Island in the same category as an east coast example. Probably the best concentration of quality waves on the east coast, the people in the water are cool as far as i can tell based on a couple trips, but cost of living issues are crushing.
    Last edited by mitchell; Jun 5, 2009 at 10:41 PM.

Images
    To add to these socal comments, being tha Im from OC MD and live in SD now.

SoCal is BY FAR a more aggrivated community. But its different out here.

The guys back east are very territorial, but not only when its good out. Guys in OC just get pissed off if you show up on any given day.

Guys in Socal get more waves, so they are more greedy. All the **** that gets started in the water is based on stealing waves. I am treated like a local here now, and they guys I surf with and made friends with are just ****s in the water.

If you are from the east coast and go to the ocean beach pier, my home break for instance. Even if you sit on the shoulder and let all the locals get the sets, they still paddle right back around you and get into position. You can work your way right up against the pillars on the pier to get position, and when the set comes, any one of 10 locals will litterally paddle over shoulder to shoulder with you and take your wave.

We all think we are better than the next guy and we feel like since we can do a better job on the wave, I feel like I should take it. Its a lame way to operate. It makes EVERYDAY in the water a constant battle. And when its big on the cliffs in the winter or something, forget about it, YOU AINT GETTING A SET WAVE, PERIOD, unless you are local. Its ridiculous.

People in Socal enter the water and lose all respect and sense of decency. Seriously.

And for the most part, its cause people are generally peaceful out here and have big mouths. Back in OC MD, if you are in the water next to me and start talking **** to me, I would expect to exit the water and have a physical confrontation on the beach, so back in OC, I watch my mouth and show a little more respect. People in Socal think that they will not get punched in the face. They will say some pretty crazy stuff to you, but they WILL NOT, and I MEAN WILL NOT get out of the water and do sh** about it. They are soft. Not all of them, but 98% of them are.

I have had to personally attempted to take sh** to the sand in La Jolla and in PB before, and these fake little bratts turn into deer in headlights. What? Your Crazy Man? Im not trying to fight over this. I will call the cops. Fu**in chumps....

So, my point is, people back east can be more aggrivated in general. You get in more bar fights back home. People shoot each other more. More road rage. Maybe its lack of surf, but not everyone is a surfer and a whole lotta them walk the earth PISSED OFF!

im from NJ and we surf angry as hell here! what do you do when you are sick of all the bennys and kooks crowding up everything in site.

killem killem all.

Quote Originally Posted by beaner View Post
    downside of OC, NJ is that for post-session beers you need to either drive to a liquor store go to a bar outside of town as the township is dry.
    o that sucks... monmouth county's got a pretty good bar scene and also a good music scene... stone pony, wonder bar, convention hall/paramount theatre. By the way, anyone going to the Donavon Frankenreiter Concert at the Pony? I really wish I could go but I won't be around

Images

Soooooo. . .

The real news is this: New Jersey is a top ten surf and vibe destination (thanks to the Boss and the Sopranos and their pay-as-you-go beach tags and NYC medical waste on the beaches) so everybody should leave here, where ever "here" is, and go there. It's been nice knowing y'all. I'll just stay here thank you very much.

Images
    As for this top ten list it is not the first time the mag has done this. They do this article every year and OC NJ has made the top ten before along with various other EC towns. I have never notice any change over all the years I' lived at the beach in the surfing population. As the season change your surf spots change accordingly to deal with crowds or none at all. When it comes to the West Coast (SoCal) Thats where people are more likely to transplant and live the dream. I know I got the bug and moved to PB in SD for three years. I surfed just about every day and partied like it was a endless South Jersey Shore summertime. As for the vibe out there my experience differs from Zach619. I never ran into any problems in the line up and my surf zone was from Mission to Blacks. Everybody is going to get dropped in on at some point but I never had a problem getting any waves I went for. I think its all how you hold yourself in the lineup.
    Last edited by SeaDaddy; Jun 6, 2009 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDaddy View Post
    When it comes to the West Coast (SoCal) Thats where people are more likely to transplant and live the dream. I know I got the bug and moved to PB in SD for three years. I surfed just about every day and partied like it was a endless South Jersey Shore summertime. As for the vibe out there my experience differs from Zach619. I never ran into any problems in the line up and my surf zone was from Mission to Blacks. Everybody is going to get dropped in on at some point but I never had a problem getting any waves I went for. I think its all how you hold yourself in the lineup.

I have to agree. I have been there over a 10000 times just to surf and will someday be living there but every time I go I never ever have a problem. Vibes in the water are great and I get nodded into waves by the local guys. I have NEVER EVER been nodded into a wave by a surfer in NJ even at my own beach. EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JMD View Post
    They are? Being born and raised in NJ I think next to new york we have the ****tiest people/attitudes out of anyplace in the US. Compared to the west coast the east cost is a totally different vibe and mind set. People are deff more mellow out west.
    Unfortunately I have to agree with the above - particularly Northern NJ (I live here) and LI.

Also the comment about RI being a top location is a stretch (I'm from there...)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JMD View Post
    I have to agree. I have been there over a 10000 times just to surf and will someday be living there but every time I go I never ever have a problem. Vibes in the water are great and I get nodded into waves by the local guys. I have NEVER EVER been nodded into a wave by a surfer in NJ even at my own beach. EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
    I have but it was during the bertha swell, so there were a lot of waves. its either ****s or chill dudes. Not much of inbetween. I think the locals should be more open to letting people get waves because most locals surf all year round therefore their wave count is soaring above the count of a person that can only afford to make it down for a single week vacation. As long as no one is dropping in, I don't think there should be any bitter attitudes. No one owns ****.