LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rav-4

Off-roading?

If you plan to get something you can drive on the sand, I would recommend the 4runner or Tacoma (I've had both and they work great) over the Rav4. The Rav4 just doesn't have enough power for off-road use. Sure you may be able to take it to a few spots in the sand, however, for example, if you are somewhere in cape hatteras (like RAMP 38 which is treacherous this year) you have an increased chance of getting stuck. It can be a difficult decision, sacrificing power for fuel efficiency, when you are driving on a highway, but when you are stuck in the sand, its probably the easiest decision one could ever make.

just make sure you put some Ds on that *****

3. VW Tiguan. We bought one this year. Split fold down seats in the rear, plenty of room for three people and the boards inside (short boards). Great ride, low maint. cost (they pay it), great price, good gas mil., & the best part about it is the tiptronic (sp?) transmission and the 2.0 Turbo Audi engine that's in it.

Honestly, it turns heads everywhere I go and the thing is a speed demon.

We looked at the Rav, the FJ, the Honda, etc. We fell in love with this one.

Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone. I might be inheriting a 2001 acura mdx (family car) but i will probably want a hybrid in the future (or maybe an even cleaner technology that gives off no harmful emissions).

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mofosurfer.com View Post
    VW Tiguan. We bought one this year. Split fold down seats in the rear, plenty of room for three people and the boards inside (short boards). Great ride, low maint. cost (they pay it), great price, good gas mil., & the best part about it is the tiptronic (sp?) transmission and the 2.0 Turbo Audi engine that's in it.

Honestly, it turns heads everywhere I go and the thing is a speed demon.

We looked at the Rav, the FJ, the Honda, etc. We fell in love with this one.

Hope this helps.
    Thats also really expensive compared to a Rav4. Can't find one under 20 grand right now, considering they're new. And personally tiptronic is the dumbest transmission ever. Especially VW's and Audi's tiptronic. Its their "lifetime" transmission, so they say it'll last longer than you'll own the car. And you're not supposed to change the tranny fluid, hence why its a completely sealed transmission. Can't put much more power than the stock engine can handle. You're better off just getting a full auto. If you rip it up to change the fluid it'll be about a grand in a shop.

And its a 2.0T VW engine. Audi is owned by VW...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbing View Post
    Thats also really expensive compared to a Rav4. Can't find one under 20 grand right now, considering they're new. And personally tiptronic is the dumbest transmission ever. Especially VW's and Audi's tiptronic. Its their "lifetime" transmission, so they say it'll last longer than you'll own the car. And you're not supposed to change the tranny fluid, hence why its a completely sealed transmission. Can't put much more power than the stock engine can handle. You're better off just getting a full auto. If you rip it up to change the fluid it'll be about a grand in a shop.

and it'll probably break down on you..with some sort of obscure electrical problem or something...

7. Quote Originally Posted by tbing View Post

Well, I guess I stand corrected on the manfuacturer of the engine, lol. Thanks!
    yeah, they just came out in 2009 in the US which means you can only get new and they start at $24K.

Oh, regarding the tiptronic trans.. I drive through the canyons in Malibu when ever my wife lets me steal the car from her on the weekends. I dig it. It's fun. Its got a lot of grab coming out of the corners. It's leased. I will have a new one in a couple years. No big deal regarding the life of the car to me.

Tacoma FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by livin4thesummer1 View Post
    Tacoma FTW!

I don't know if I want/need a pick-up as my first car. I'm also thinking about something on the inexpensive side.