LOGIN | REGISTER

Hybrid View

Summer surfing in Ocean City MD

I'm staying for a week in July in a bayside condo on Jamestown Rd. (across street from Carousel around 120th street). I surfed a very nice beach break down in the 30's street area (just south of where they were dredging) back in April, but most of the time I usually surf up at Henlopen or IR (when I'm doing some day-trippin' from Fredneck). Just wondering though, if I'm not as motivated to drive up to the state parks in DE, when am I allowed to surf a sandbar/beach break in OC? Do the lifeguards allow you to "surf anywhere" in OC before a certain time in the morning and after a certain time in the evening? Is 48th street and the inlet areas all-day surfing spots or do they have restricted times as well? I could call up a surf shop to ask but figured alot of you guys would know.

I doubt there is much break up at the high-rise part of OC where I'm staying so I'm guessing I'll be driving around some with my board (as opposed to walking over to the beach. Spending 1/2 hour to find a parking spot between 50-20th street shouldn't be much fun either though.

Images

It's been a few years since I surfed in OCMD but I'm guessing the old rules still apply. get up super early and find a place that's breaking. most times a parking spot close shouldnt be an issue at dawn. 118th/120th used to break good so maybe those breaks are back.

Last year you could surf anywhere until 9am. After that, they have just 2 streets designated for surfing. Parking is rarely bad until 9 anyway, so you shouldn't have problems parking. The crowdedness of 1 street-length is probably the equivalent to the summer surf crowd at henlopen. makes me miss winter a little bit. But uhh hope that helps. If you're staying there, Id take a morning session at OC and then book north after 9.

Excellent info. thanks all. So the "surf zone" is the zone between 2 lifeguard stands...so that gives about 200 yards or so to find a break? I guess thats a decent area, although it would stink to have the designated surf zone have poor breaks with a bunch of surfers cattle-corralled in and watch a bunch of 10 year olds from Michigan or Ohio on $15 Sunsation no-name boogie boards 50 yds to your right (or left) catching some nice breaks.

Excellent the surf zone on 7/27 (Monday) is at the Carousel where I'm staying in late July. I can surf for a few hrs. then stroll up to the Carosel bar and get a beer or pina-colata and some nachos and guac. take a snooze/read a book, then maybe do another sesion. Livin' the "dream" for at least 1 day on my vacation if the surf cooperates!

One thing that seems inconsistent I've noticed though....it says open surfing anywhere before 10am and after 5pm. but also before or after the lifeguards are on duty. I've seen lifeguards set up at 7:30-8am and stay past 6pm many times if I recall. So which is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Electricbanana69 View Post
    Last year you could surf anywhere until 9am. After that, they have just 2 streets designated for surfing. Parking is rarely bad until 9 anyway, so you shouldn't have problems parking. The crowdedness of 1 street-length is probably the equivalent to the summer surf crowd at henlopen. makes me miss winter a little bit. But uhh hope that helps. If you're staying there, Id take a morning session at OC and then book north after 9.
    Yeah, Henlopen jetty is a great break but very, very crowded on decent days (even in winter it gets crowded on good days). Not recommended for surfing newbies unless you respect the location and stay 50+ yards to the north of the jetty and not infringe on the space of the more experienced surfers/Henlopen regulars that rightfully deserve the prime line-up at the point or 30-40 yds north of it.

Just a quick correction, you can surf til ten not nine, and the inlet is open on weekdays only!