LOGIN | REGISTER

Thread: getting air

Images

getting air

How do you get air on a surfboard? Every time i try my speed just dies

Images
    when you do a front side air, you need lots of speed, then you have to find the section where its like vert, then if you have enough speed, you kinda go up to that section then pretend like your on a skateboard and ollie, pull up your front leg. Thats kind of how i do it, i couldnt really explain it well.

carve to gain speed. kind of do a modified jump except more sideways

cory lopez is the man, and boost airs with the best. have him teach you a few tips
    http://www.surfline.com/surflinetv/t...side-air_19445

Images

just see it.

just be looking for it when you have mad speed and a good section. dont look for it on everywave, pump for speed and to time it right so you make you bottom turn right before the section go real vertical like your gonna extend a vert snap above the lip then throw you hips to extend the tail over and down the line a little.... Good luck. It just takes time and practice....

Images
    before y start doing full blown airs learn how to air out the back it its gonna close out. just get alot of speed and make a strong bottom turn that doesnt kill too much speedand pop when you hit the lip

Images
    beginners guide to airs.

Take off on a beach break section. Make sure to take off on a wave that will have a closeout section a little ways down the line, so that you can drop in, stay high on the face. Keep pumping your legs. The way to maintain speed is not to take long deep turns. Keep doing small pumps, then time one final bottom turn to go towards the section. DONT bottom turn down on the flats or at the bottom, only make a gradual turn about half way down the face and aim right back at the oncoming section. You want to hit it kind of horizontally, so the breaking lips acts as a ramp. Most likely, it will propel you over the flats a bit. Try and keep centered over your board. Your first reaction will be to bail off your board as you land in the foam, but try and coil your legs and absorb the impact.

There are many other ways to do airs, but this was a common situation in mediocre summer san diego waves when I was learned airs. Once you get the general feeling of how to release off the wave, you will have it. Take along time though. You will flail around at first once your fins reliease and you are in the air. If you are flexible, grabbing your rail keeps your form intact and wont let you lose your center of gravity.