LOGIN | REGISTER

Thread: Glassing Board

Glassing Board

for glassing a EPS foam board are there any cheaper alternatives than epoxy or is there any epoxy you can buy at a lowes or home depot for cheaper

regular polyester resin will melt the eps blank and give off noxious fumes while doing it. epoxy is the only way to go. i have glassed a couple of boards using m.a.s. epoxy resin from boaters world. i got it on sale when boaters world was having its bankruptcy sale. generally, though, the epoxy you get on line from a surf supply house and the stuff you get at a marine store cost about the same. i have noticed that you can get 6oz glass cheaper via the online surf supply guys like greenlight.

what about using a blank without a stringer will that work

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by surfde View Post
    what about using a blank without a stringer will that work
    Yup..Just shaped and glassed a 5' 5" stringerless EPS fish last month and hope to ride it in the morning...i ws a little concerned about it being stringerless but its solid as a rock. Glassed with epoxy. As far as i can tell...www.fiberglasssupply.com is the cheapest (and very knowledgable) online supplier of everything you need to make a board.

I started with a pretty much flat 6 foot by 3" thick chunk of EPS foam and bent in the rocker with some heat and weight.
    Last edited by mitchell; Jun 19, 2009 at 02:40 AM.

that's a fun lookin board

!!!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakagrom View Post
    that's a fun lookin board

!!!!
    Yeah ... caught a bunch of 3 footers on it this morning and it was fun as @#$%

trunked it, glassy a-frames, new board rode good, all in all a fun DP

That board is going to hurt my teeth...