LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question!

Hybrid View

question!

as i was duck diving this afternoon i got to wondering how much time does the average east coast surfer spend underwater during their life time ? im not talking about showering or swimming i just talking about duck diving falling off the board etc.. ,may be 5 mins a session , 3.5 sessions a week 17.5 minutes a week , multiply that by 52 you get 910 mins a year 910 multiply that say by 35 years you end up with 31850 thats something like 22 days of your life underwater . any though on that?

That's awesome. I thought about how many times I would have to duck dive in a day.

Cool thoughts. How 'bout this one. How long does the average surfer spend actually surfing? Is the average ride 10 seconds? So ten seconds per ride, twenty rides per session and 3 sessions per week=about 10 minutes of wave riding per week times 52 weeks per year= eight hours and forty minutes of actual riding per year.

the kicker to this equation is the actual average ride length. East coast conditions vary wildly and your perception of time is tweaked when your feet come in contact with waxed fiberglass. . . . .

Images

Put in the time

Take the time to actually sit and watch a decent day with decent surfers- The average surfer on an average East Coast wave usually gets a whopping 3.5 seconds on a wave, if you're lucky. It's safe to say that a 10 second ride would likely cover nearly two blocks, and that's not a likelihood around here unless it's a BIG long ground swell at Assateague.

You spend far more time paddling, walking down the beach, and submerged than you will ever pile up actually surfing the wave on the East Coast, but then if it were easy and mainly just riding, everybody would be out there. -Dooooooh. Homer Simpson moment there- and surprise of all surprises, they are.

Hey there's a thought. Hey newbies and wannabees. You don't actually spend much time surfing when you are out surfing, so give it up. Get some rollerblades--there's more fun per hour by far! In fact you can even rollerblade back at home and don't have to come to the beach at all!!

Correction - i would say the average East Coast surfer probably surfs about 1 day per week (at most) on average. Think about it...we are talking about averages here. That would be 52 times per year. I know I don't get out nearly enough but I'm out there about 20x per year. There aren't even rideable waves every week.

Modify your calculations accordingly!

What are we trying to figure out here? How much time spent in the semi-toxic mid-Atlantic waters it will take for the average surfer to mutate and develop gills like Kevin Costner in Waterworld?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by surfsup View Post
    Correction - i would say the average East Coast surfer probably surfs about 1 day per week (at most) on average. Think about it...we are talking about averages here. That would be 52 times per year. I know I don't get out nearly enough but I'm out there about 20x per year. There aren't even rideable waves every week.

Modify your calculations accordingly!
    if you surf only 20 times a year than you're fu*king up.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jk06385 View Post
    I go surfing AT LEAST once a week so I surf more than 52 times a year for sure

Quote Originally Posted by jk06385 View Post
    I don't surf in the winter so i only surf from mid may to mid nov (3/2 w/ boots & golves). i live a hour from the beach and i have a real job so i cannot surf during the week (unless i take a vacation day, etc.). As a result, I am mostly limited to the weekends and most of the weekends the waves aren't worth surfing (less than 3 feet).

There are a TON of East Coast surfers like myself so that is why i say "average" # of days. I would love to surf this weekend too but not sure if there will be decent waves...