LOGIN | REGISTER

Outer Banks Road Trip

I really want to take a road trip to the outer banks this summer.

Can anyone recommend a break to go to?

How is the swell consistency during july/august?

Thanks!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeet26 View Post

Thanks!
    You can choose any stretch of beach like at Frisco, Buxton, Avon, Rodanthe, Nags Head, Kill Devil hills, Corolla, etc. But there are many sandbars that no one knows about, so it's VERY easy to surf epic surf almost by yousrelf. just look at the forecast and try to predict what the winds and swell will be like and base where you'll be going on the break/area that will have the best size/conditions, remember there are a good range of directions that the outer banks face, so if the wind has any west in it at all, you can find a spot that like it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeet26 View Post

Thanks!
    swell conditions are like the rest of the east coast in july/august...not good. The outer banks do stick out east quite a bit so they may pick up a bit more swell than elsewhere. your best bet is to wait for the tropics to awaken.

Images
    I would either go to Buxton, Rodanthe, anywhere on pea island, Frisco, Avon, or KDH. All of those places usually have the most consistent and clean breaks.

Hit up Rodanthe for S-Turns. Pretty sweet, though well-known spot. I surf Frisco almost exclusively, though the old Lighthouse at Buxton gets pretty good too. It's just a matter of conditions...it can really vary from place to place.

Anywhere on Pea island is usually pretty good. anywhere closer to rodanthe, avon, or buxton, you'll have to hunt around a little, and it all depends on the swell.