LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: whose fault

whose fault

So this morning I was surfing with my cousin (Lets just call him Sean for the sake of the story) and my other friend (we'll name him Jon)... as sean is paddling out, jon is paddling for a wave. Sean is right where Jon is going to take off. They end up colliding messing up jons board. Whose fault would you say this is. I say its both there faults. Shouldn't take off on a wave when someone is right there but at the same time you should know which way to go to not get in someones way going for a wave.

Its all good now there gonna spit the cost of the repair but I am just curious cause many times when im paddling out I have gotten in peoples way and when im going for a wave people are in my way and wondering whose at fault when something like this happens or its mutual which I think.

3 Kooks go into the water...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sosodel View Post
    So this morning I was surfing with my cousin (Lets just call him Sean for the sake of the story) and my other friend (we'll name him Jon)... as sean is paddling out, jon is paddling for a wave. Sean is right where Jon is going to take off. They end up colliding messing up jons board. Whose fault would you say this is. I say its both there faults. Shouldn't take off on a wave when someone is right there but at the same time you should know which way to go to not get in someones way going for a wave.

Its all good now there gonna spit the cost of the repair but I am just curious cause many times when im paddling out I have gotten in peoples way and when im going for a wave people are in my way and wondering whose at fault when something like this happens or its mutual which I think.
    I'd say it's Sean's fault, because when you paddle back out, you try your best to stay out of other surfers way, and even paddle around the main waves (Can't really do that in beachbreaks, though). But Jon could have at least yelled out which direction he was going so Sean could have a chance to paddle out of his way and duckdive beneath the wave.

Quote Originally Posted by DTK View Post
    3 Kooks go into the water...
    haha shutup you barney

who hits harder, i'd put my money on them, then again if you can carve around an obstacle you shouldnt be out there.

Sorry, couldn't help myself...

wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    Quote Originally Posted by ledzepfreak View Post
    I'd say it's Sean's fault, because when you paddle back out, you try your best to stay out of other surfers way, and even paddle around the main waves (Can't really do that in beachbreaks, though). But Jon could have at least yelled out which direction he was going so Sean could have a chance to paddle out of his way and duckdive beneath the wave.
    i agree with my boy leddy as down here in wb the person paddling out has to watch out for other surfers and try to avoid the surfers taking off on waves. now if jon didnt call out whcih way he is going then yes its both of their fault as people taking off should call which way to tell other surfers and second to let a person thats paddling back to the lineup to know which way he will be going.

It is the person paddling out who has the responsibility of staying/getting out of the way.

who evers on the wave or about to be on the wave has the right away.

That happened to me last year.I was paddleing back out and my buddy ran me right over.Just flipped 6 bills on that new board to.Put a huge cut into it.It was my fault thou,Always stay to the side.Still dont understand why he was smiling when he ran me over thou.