LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tropical Storm invest

Just curious about tropical storm invests. How are they named? It seems like they are all 90 something (current one 93L). Also, how do invests become tropical storms, it is based on wind speed or pressure? Thanks.

I have no idea... but theres a storm brewing!?!? where is it i dont see it under the hurrican tab on swellinfo

more hurricanes?

I know with the above average water temps for this time of the year, is it possible that we will have an above average hurricane season, Im no scientist but my money is on a good season for storms....

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lisurfer View Post
    Just curious about tropical storm invests. How are they named? It seems like they are all 90 something (current one 93L). Also, how do invests become tropical storms, it is based on wind speed or pressure? Thanks.
    Someone correct me if i'm wrong but I believe there needs to be clear counter-clockwise rotation in addition to a sustained windspeed of 39mph.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutgloss.shtml

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sosodel View Post
    I have no idea... but theres a storm brewing!?!? where is it i dont see it under the hurrican tab on swellinfo
    http://www.swellinfo.com/tropical/in...n=NT&year=2009

wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneybaloney View Post
    hey i like that avatar picture you have.

Images
    I know with the above average water temps for this time of the year, is it possible that we will have an above average hurricane season, Im no scientist but my money is on a good season for storms....

Actually the real scientist are predicting we're gonna have a el nino effect this year which means more shear and and fewer storms in the Atlantic.

This is important, since the number and intensity of Atlantic tropical storms and hurricanes is usually reduced during an El Niņo year, thanks to the increased wind shear such events bring to the tropical Atlantic. Last month, Columbia University's International Research Institute (IRI) was giving a 30% chance of an El Niņo event for the coming hurricane season; this month, they have bumped their odds up to 45%.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sosodel View Post
    Don't get excited, the invest is in the Caribbean and expected to move into the Gulf of Mexico - if anywhere at all.

that invest is in like central america theres prob no chance were gonna get swell from it

Images
    GLOBAL MODELS INDICATE THIS
    AREA OF DISORGANIZED WEATHER WILL MOVE TOWARDS THE SRN GULF OF
    MEXICO LATE SATURDAY INTO SUNDAY...WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF
    BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE IN THE NEXT 48 HOURS. IN THE
    MEANTIME..

Some of the models show it moving across florida and off the east coast.
    Last edited by ecoastprock; Jun 27, 2009 at 05:08 AM.