LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Images
    Well, im from OC MD too. I will not say its the heaviest on the east coast by any means, but it does go off.

And I dont know why you guys are hating on that OC MD photo. I remember that from a couple years back, and on that sequence, He goes straight because if you notice... He goes straight and when he turns, he still out runs the barrel...

So my question to you is, if you want to get tucked under that 6-8 ft lip, why would you go straight? The wave obviously dies on the shoulder there, and he should have dug his arm in and gone even slower and straigher on his take off... my opinion.

But anyway, there are photos on that same exact day of some guy in OC MD just CHARGIN. I mean, the guy got sick photos tucked behind some seriously thick shorebreak lips. The guy was dropping in to 8 foot shorebreak barrels and getting out of them. I consider myself a hell-man charger, but I would think twice about half of those inside bowls man. A closeout will fill ya as$ crack with sand pretty quick.

But ONE more thing... Im sure everyone here has surfed a reef before, and you know unless its PIPE or TAHITI, then reefs actually LESSEN the power of the wave when it cross it. That is why reefs and points give you that perfect shape...

Thats the scary thing about Hatteras and JERZ and places that get thick and hollow...

A 8 foot day at Hatteras can litterally be much worse than a 15 foot day at pipe.... At pipe, you have a much better chance in chosing a wave and making the section...

Everyone knows when it gets heavy back east on those sanbars, its a damn crapshoot, you can have the wave of your life, or just get destroyed... 20MPH offshore wind and 10 foot sets....

I mean, I know that its not the most powerful place on earth, but Hatteras and a lot of east coast spots may not be perfect, but they certainly are heavy....

In my opinion, the heaviest wave in the WORLD that is surfed regularly is Puerto Escondio. That sh** is Bigger than pipe line, and ALL SAND!

I mean, youtube some crazy Puerto escondido rides... That 20 second barrel of a tow in a couple years back....

Those tough guys in Hawaii can talk all that mess, but those boys down in Mexico, where there arent all the cameras, and GIANT swells roll through all year un noticed by the surf world... Those boys have more metal than anywhere on earth...

PUERTO son... PUERTO!

Images
    ohh, but another point of that, which i forgot is that, unfortunately, even in Hatteras, those beach breaks can only hold so much. Then you gotta resort to sketchy jet ski sessions etc. Really, i would say a clean, 8 foot day anywhere on the east coast is pretty much maxed out. When it gets bigger, you may as well stand and watch mother nature.

Which is why the Sand Diego Beach breaks stay empty for months at a time during a good NW winter. The beach breaks here get 6 feet or so, then its a mess unless you pinned up against a jetty. We all cruise down to the reefs all winter, cause they can hold the shape...

You can surf a 15 FT sd reef break the exact same way you surf a 5 FT OC MD beach break... Its seriously that easy. Big long faces on the drops, tons of speed on the face and they NEVER CLOSE OUT!
    Last edited by zach619; Jul 14, 2009 at 06:05 PM.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    ohh, but another point of that, which i forgot is that, unfortunately, even in Hatteras, those beach breaks can only hold so much. Then you gotta resort to sketchy jet ski sessions etc. Really, i would say a clean, 8 foot day anywhere on the east coast is pretty much maxed out. When it gets bigger, you may as well stand and watch mother nature.

Which is why the Sand Diego Beach breaks stay empty for months at a time during a good NW winter. The beach breaks here get 6 feet or so, then its a mess unless you pinned up against a jetty. We all cruise down to the reefs all winter, cause they can hold the shape...

You can surf a 15 FT sd reef break the exact same way you surf a 5 FT OC MD beach break... Its seriously that easy. Big long faces on the drops, tons of speed on the face and they NEVER CLOSE OUT!
    stay on the beach donkey,you are clueless!

Images

Ya... Puerto..

Haha... i started this thread trying to get info about the east coast... just for when i travel localy here.. But im leaving for Puerto Escondido in 2 weeks... i guesse im gonna See the ultimate boxxxess there then so i should stop being so bored and get ready or something
    ...haha.....

Images
    Locals are lazy:
    If im a donkey, you are a liar...

sure, i bet you are out getting 10 foot shacks all day in OBX... sure you are...

Show me a picture of anyone on a legitmate 10 footer there. Please... i would love to see it....

Ive seen plenty of 10-15 foot SURF there, with not a soul on it.,...

If you want to talk ****, back it up... I think your a liar.

I agree with Zach, a 6 ft wave on the east coast is generally equal to a 10ft wave on the west coast as far as steepness and dificulty to surf.

Chest high 300 people in the water, 2 ft overhead 15, that's how it works on the east coast, and that's how I like it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nwash View Post
    Show me someone busting out some double knee on that, than I would be impressed.
    How about a bodyboarder hitting the lip and doing a huge ARS. Bodyboaring is cooler than surfing on big waves...theres more to do. I guess surfing takes more skill on steep drops but honestly... a surfer couldnt say a bodyboarder boosting off a huge section is lame. Bodyboarers have bigger balls and get the most out of the wave.

I by no means meant to change this topic into a bodyboarder VS surfer thread.

OuterBanks

The outer banks don't need pictures to show it's the heaviest spot on the EC. Just look at the underwater topography of the coast.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss View Post
    How about a bodyboarder hitting the lip and doing a huge ARS. Bodyboaring is cooler than surfing on big waves...theres more to do. I guess surfing takes more skill on steep drops but honestly... a surfer couldnt say a bodyboarder boosting off a huge section is lame. Bodyboarers have bigger balls and get the most out of the wave.

I by no means meant to change this topic into a bodyboarder VS surfer thread.
    The hardest part about surfing steep hollow waves, is the drop. You gotta paddle not only hard, but intelligently, and you gotta pop-up at the right moment. And popping up when you are almost vertical is a lot harder than a lot of the pros make it look, and then you gotta make the drop and try to keep your nose from pearling.. I think that bodyboarding's place is on unsurfable slabs (well duh), but the question is, is surfing a barely surfable slab harder than bodyboarding an unsurfable slab? Or maybe we shouldn't answer that question cuz that would spark the debate of surfing vs bodyboarding