LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any surf shops rent out retro-fish?

Just wondering...I''ve been considering buying a small, superwide/superfloaty retrofish someday, just so I have something to fool around on when the waves are too small/not powerful enough for my 7'2'' thin-custom funboard to catch easily. I really want to see if there was a way to take one out for a test drive first since I've never riden one and don't want to waste my money buying one if its not meant for me. I've tried out a few of my buddies longboards on a few occassions and really don't care for how they feel (although I like how easy they paddle). Any shops in OCMD or Deleware rent out retro-fishes?

Only other option would be to shmooze up to someone in the water I see riding a retrofish and talk them into swapping boards with me for a while.

Also, (sorry for my ignorance on the subject) just how small and mushy of a summer slop of a wave can your typical 2.5 inch thick/22 wide retrofish catch a wave on (considering I'm 5'9'' and 145 lbs)? Knee high? Ankle high bubbles? Thigh high minimum? Just wondering.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobfromFredneck View Post
    Also, (sorry for my ignorance on the subject) just how small and mushy of a summer slop of a wave can your typical 2.5 inch thick/22 wide retrofish catch a wave on (considering I'm 5'9'' and 145 lbs)? Knee high? Ankle high bubbles? Thigh high minimum? Just wondering.
    Paddling ability aside, you should be able to catch knee-high and up with that. It gets fun once you hit the waist-high range though.

They look so fun in smaller surf. I need to get one soon too. You might have trouble finding a place that rents out retros. If you can't shmooze up to somebody, i would try talking some local shop about buying the retro and selling it back if it's in the same condition. You might only get back a couple hundred, but you would get to try out the new board. Heck keep it if you like it.

instead of a retro fish why not try a roundnose fish like lost makes? I had both and the RNF surfs much more like a shortboard. i thought the retros were too floaty and didnt turn all that great

there are many days where riding a thick retro fish is a lot more fun than my rnf

Images
    http://www.ebodyboarding.com/bodyboa...Fish-Surfboard
    the most fun you will ever have in small surf so light

Images

I'm about your size and have 5-5 and 5-10 retro fishes. Both flat rockered and over 21" wide. in ocean city, MD type waves (steep) they will get up and go down to about knee-thigh high (2 foot faces). They are more fun on a really lined up waist - chest high day.

Retro fishes really arent made for tiny weak summer slop...they dont turn as well in small surf as a board with more tail rocker and smaller fins - keel fins are more for fast lined up juice.

and as always make sure fins are not setup straight up and down and with an angle in if you buy a fish.

Thanks for the input to all. Great advice and glad to know about the knee-high forecasting since I live 200 miles from the shore and do alot of day-trips (I'd hate to drive 3 hrs. to do nothing more than paddle around when I have a farm pond behind my house I could walk to and do that). Usually I only make a daytrip if its waist to head high range (I'm not skilled enough to get in overhead yet...(I've tried 2x and I gettting caught inside over and over is not enjoyable at all). If I had a retro-fish it sounds like I could expand my surfing conditions/opportunities some on some smaller days in the summer where my thin 7'2'' doesn't quite work (although I love that board when its about chest high). I'm spending a week down in OC at the end of July so I'd like to get many sessions in that week (waves permitting). If the forecast is knee-thigh high for the whole week (likes its been the last several weeks) I may just go buy a fish...who knows.

Images
    Thanks for the input to all. Great advice and glad to know about the knee-high forecasting since I live 200 miles from the shore and do alot of day-trips (I'd hate to drive 3 hrs. to do nothing more than paddle around when I have a farm pond behind my house I could walk to and do that). Usually I only make a daytrip if its waist to head high range (I'm not skilled enough to get in overhead yet...(I've tried 2x and I gettting caught inside over and over is not enjoyable at all). If I had a retro-fish it sounds like I could expand my surfing conditions/opportunities some on some smaller days in the summer where my thin 7'2'' doesn't quite work (although I love that board when its about chest high). I'm spending a week down in OC at the end of July so I'd like to get many sessions in that week (waves permitting). If the forecast is knee-thigh high for the whole week (likes its been the last several weeks) I may just go buy a fish...who knows.
    Did you rule out longboarding? Something between 9'-10' will allow you to "ride" on all the smaller days. Lots of fun and when it gets bigger, you just pull the 7'2" out.