LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kooky kids...

Kooky kids...

Being an Adult I must ask that if a newbie, no more then 13, drops in on my wave, wipes out, and then has his fins rip through my skin as his board goes airborne as I have to karate chop it away from my face and then just says sorry as I have to head in to bandage myself, do I have the right to draw blood from him and/or his father. Damn kid should slashed my tires while he was at it, just a blatant drop in right into my board...Teachers need to do a better job of explaining basic rules and etiquette although this kid probably just got his knife, I mean board for his Birthday... "YOU DREW FIRST BLOOD!!!" Next time this kid get's a bloody slap to the face and I'm holding a blade to his aorta explaining the way **** is out in the water...
    Last edited by davincimoon; Jul 20, 2009 at 02:57 AM.

Images
    yeah, thats a tough one. I know that where I live, usually, when you start coucelling the kids in the water, the dads usually show up really quickly, usually to throw down with you if you arent a local. So, be ready to throw down once you take it that far.

If you didnt get severely injured, I would always let it go. But hey, if you are gonna see the kid everyday, you can set him straight. Remember it is just a kid though.

cut his leash point break style.

take it out on the dad. As a father, I'd go ballistic on my kid of he did that. probably beat his ass on the beach for you.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JonAngot12 View Post
    cut his leash point break style.
    Exactly. Bunker Weiss style.

Images
    grab his board and break his fins off, then he has no choice but to head in. if the dad gets in your face, have them removed from the beach - after all, you're the one who's injured.

feeling ya on this one, we're in the height of the summer surf ****show...can't even go for a surf without having to watch out for yourself and your board. i'm not even riding my go-to board in these ****ty conditions cause i don't want to risk some kid running into me. looking forward to sept-oct.

if a stranger (well pretty much anyone) put his hands on my kid - for whatever reason - I'd probably blank out and, well, whatever the result, I'd blame PTSD and would probably get off with a misdeamor. So since you aren't a local and know not who you may be dealing with - you may want to put a check on that self- righteous indignation. Yes - its true - 13 year old boys are reckless - call the media! You harshly reproach the kid in the water, and yes he may try to act all "yeah whatever, sorry old man" and rebellious to show off for his buddies - but pretty much you can be sure he'll get the message.

Images
    do like Ken Bradshaw and take a huge bite out of his board and then break all his fins off. or shrug it off and let it ride if its the first time.
    Last edited by oipaul; Jul 20, 2009 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnsurf View Post
    grab his board and break his fins off, then he has no choice but to head in. if the dad gets in your face, have them removed from the beach - after all, you're the one who's injured.

feeling ya on this one, we're in the height of the summer surf ****show...can't even go for a surf without having to watch out for yourself and your board. i'm not even riding my go-to board in these ****ty conditions cause i don't want to risk some kid running into me. looking forward to sept-oct.
    in recent years they seem to have discovered 3/2's, so you have to deal with them until atleast november.

This was just an accident (painful one albeit) and I don't think the 13 year old intentionally stole the wave or had any idea that anyone would get hurt as a result. Its a learning experience for anyone whether they are 13 or at any age when someone new starts out. All you can do is educate them the best you can on surfing safety and etiquette. As long as surfing remains a popular sport, there is always going to be newbies every summer season (been that way since the initial boom in the 1960's). Spot the newbies, keep away from them, and educate them. That's about all you can do or should do. Retaliation doesn't solve or help anything.

Now if some moderately skilled veteran surfer starts snaking waves or hurts someone else out there because of selfishness and wrecklessness...then that's a whole different story...a good old fashion beat-down might be appropriate.