LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Stand Up Crack Down

I live up town in ocmd and standup body board a lot during the day..... I've become some what friendly with the lifeguard on my beach and I've never been hasseled about doing stand up. I also like to ride out and flip off the shorebreak waves when its too dumpy to ride. But today the lifeguards gave me a bunch of sh*t about how im not aloud to do any more stand up because its considered "skimboarding" or some bullsh*t like that. Theres this kid from bethany who rolls up to my street sometimes and today I saw him getting arrested because of refusing to stop doing standup and launching off waves. From what I hear he ran his mouth off to all the guards and crew chief or something so the call the police on him. Pretty much this kid ruined it for me because I live at this spot but even still can standup really be banned during the days? I mean what the hell else are we supposed to do all day when we cant be surfing. I was just wondering if anyone knows exactly why stand up would be agaisnt "policy" or if anyone else has gotten sh*t for it
    Last edited by wizes7; Jul 20, 2009 at 10:58 PM.

was this up in the 94th to Clarion area?

it just depends who the lifeguard is.. sometimes they tell me im not alowed to stand up riding out to the wave or riding it in.. other times they tell me i just cant skim out to the wave standing up but can do anything on my way in.. other times no one cares at all.. as long as your arent skimmin into kids they usually dont care unless there ****s

Quote Originally Posted by ECSURFR View Post
    was this up in the 94th to Clarion area?
    speaking of this area, when i was infront of the clarion, a lifeguard kept whistlin at me and i didnt know why. eventually he came down and told me i was not allowed to surf in oc.. i told him it was a body board and and showed it to him but he just kept repeating surfing wasnt allowed in oc.. didnt even say just no stand up just said no surfing.. so i waited for them to shift chairs and went back out

Images

What the Nazi...

Dude are ****ing serious... thats is so rediculous. Those Police in oc and the fricken idiot lifeguards... the surfing beach there is so small... .they are so stingy and sketch... dude.. im sorry to hear that. that like really bothers me. if i lived there i would be one of the kids getting arrested i just cant handle that they wont allow you to even skim board or stand up on a board. in the whole city except like 2 streets... what the Hell? and the fact the arrested that kid... NUTS? Ocean city can get epic and slightly desolate in the winter though on the right s swell.

that sounds pretty ridiculous. i'd check your town's local law. it was the same for me in virginia beach. i stand up everywhere that you're not allowed to surf, and i ride right through crowds just like the **** draggers. the way i see it, if you're on a bodyboard, then you're bodyboarding...even if you're surfing. and if they give you crap for doing it, then they might as well outlaw tourists buying those cheap foam ones.

Quote Originally Posted by sosodel View Post
    other times they tell me i just cant skim out to the wave standing up
    I think its the skiming going out that pisses them off. Its ridiculous though because I do that so much. This kid really f*cked me and my friends over since we live here. He just ran his mouth knowing that he didn't have to worry about any consequences. I knew this kid from a couple years back, about 5 years ago he got in trouble about the same **** and had the police called on him then and our street was impossible to standup or skim out on. im pretty pissed about it but its nice to hear other people think this is as ridiculous as me.

I used to lifeguard in OCMD and I have unfortunetly had to ruin some stand up fun in the same way. The real issue was the skimming out as stated earlier... The issue here should have been the concern over neck injuries from flipping over the shore-break waves, which in my opinion is kinda stupid either way. Although the "no skim boarding" rule is kinda stupid, it does prevent a great deal of injuries that idiot tourists would inflict upon themselves
    As far as the stand-up boarding goes. Ideally, Its up to the guard to ensure a safe beach environment for all the beach goers, so it should be the guards call if the "skimmer" is placing himself or others in harms way. Its unfortunate that the crew chiefs and Lt.'s find it necessary to crack down on guards who allow competent people to enjoy the ocean (I myself was written up for allowing such activities to occur on my beach) One final note never talk back to a lifeguard.... This just pisses most of us off, and we will always win if you insist on being a jackoff... Granted many of them will turn into tools on a power trip, but the majority just want to do their job

9. Technically, boards over 42" fit the Ocean City town code description of surfboards and fall out of the bodyboard category... There was a thread I think I saw on here somewhere about a similar issue about surfing soft boards w/o fins during guard hours. I have yet to see someone get called out for going stand up coming into the shore on a herlihy or whatever other kinda bodyboard but I can see it becomming a more contestable issue in the future. Especially with noone using leashes and the boards riding the whitewater back in and knocking little kids wading by the waterline. I hope that this was just an isolated issue due to one loser gaurd than a growing trend...thoughts or any other personal experiences with this?

Images

Bomb that...

Quote Originally Posted by WaveJunkie86 View Post
    I used to lifeguard in OCMD and I have unfortunetly had to ruin some stand up fun in the same way. The real issue was the skimming out as stated earlier... The issue here should have been the concern over neck injuries from flipping over the shore-break waves, which in my opinion is kinda stupid either way. Although the "no skim boarding" rule is kinda stupid, it does prevent a great deal of injuries that idiot tourists would inflict upon themselves
    As far as the stand-up boarding goes. Ideally, Its up to the guard to ensure a safe beach environment for all the beach goers, so it should be the guards call if the "skimmer" is placing himself or others in harms way. Its unfortunate that the crew chiefs and Lt.'s find it necessary to crack down on guards who allow competent people to enjoy the ocean (I myself was written up for allowing such activities to occur on my beach) One final note never talk back to a lifeguard.... This just pisses most of us off, and we will always win if you insist on being a jackoff... Granted many of them will turn into tools on a power trip, but the majority just want to do their job

First of all... Lifeguards are ***gots (east coast lifeguards, props to the guys in gnarly places like hawaii) and deserve no power in the sense of telling us what to do or how to carry one self in that situation that was stated and to call the babylon/Po. i dont kknow. but the tourist i have seen saved had nothing to do with skim boarding, they were overweight and got tired or young and dift out... some **** like that, but most tourist can barely jump on a skim board. yet alone do a flip and brake there neck... its more like an ankle or some **** getting on it.... but you can do that running... can people run on the beach. if you were a life guard on the beach would this be back talking..hhaha.