LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 46
  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by wbsurfer View Post
    actually the surf for today was predicted choppy but in the morning today it was semi clean with rare waist high. so if you just find the right sand bar it could get fun even if its choppy.
    Yeah I actually got a few fun ones today.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    yes, i say before man, time did not exist, since we invented such an idea.

    But, the sun did set and the months did pass... that is after the point our solar system was created. Suggesting a beginning to this concept of time.
    This might be slightly redundant to my previous post but hear me out. A day is a measure of time. A day is also the time it takes for the earth to complete one rotation on its axis. Did the earth not rotate on its axis before man, and therefore time passed regardless of whether or not the concept existed yet? Take a concept such as beauty. Beauty is a concept of man. Before man was around, was nature not still beautiful?

    And if I wanted to be really nit picky, did planets not rotate and therefore time not exist in other solar systems, before the creation of our own?

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by 58845 View Post
    This might be slightly redundant to my previous post but hear me out. A day is a measure of time. A day is also the time it takes for the earth to complete one rotation on its axis. Did the earth not rotate on its axis before man, and therefore time passed regardless of whether or not the concept existed yet? Take a concept such as beauty. Beauty is a concept of man. Before man was around, was nature not still beautiful?

    And if I wanted to be really nit picky, did planets not rotate and therefore time not exist in other solar systems, before the creation of our own?
    how long does it take you to think of all of this?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    WB: C-street and Mase and Sweetwater and all sorts of chill places around WB. Its rad.
    Posts
    559
    alas, time is but a fleeting concept concocted during mankind's feeble attempt of existence. If humans have only been around for a short time in the earths life, and the concept of time is mans invention, have not humans been around since the beginning of time? What is invention? Are other things strictly subjective to man? Mathematics, science, writing, literature, all these things that we use to describe the workd around us, are they only applicable to the domain of man? Did these methods of description apply before us and will they apply after us?
    How can you actually tell time has passed?
    if you were locked in a windowless room, how would you be able to tell?

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Wrightsville Beach
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by conway View Post


    Last edited by adowcett; Jul 28, 2009 at 04:27 PM.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by 58845 View Post
    This might be slightly redundant to my previous post but hear me out. A day is a measure of time. A day is also the time it takes for the earth to complete one rotation on its axis. Did the earth not rotate on its axis before man, and therefore time passed regardless of whether or not the concept existed yet? Take a concept such as beauty. Beauty is a concept of man. Before man was around, was nature not still beautiful?

    And if I wanted to be really nit picky, did planets not rotate and therefore time not exist in other solar systems, before the creation of our own?
    dude, the earth has existed some 6+ billion years before man existed. Man has only been around for only a blink of an eye in universe time. You should read Stephen Hawking's "Brief History of Time". or "The Whole Shebang" by Timothy Ferris.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    WB: C-street and Mase and Sweetwater and all sorts of chill places around WB. Its rad.
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    dude, the earth has existed some 6+ billion years before man existed. Man has only been around for only a blink of an eye in universe time. You should read Stephen Hawking's "Brief History of Time". or "The Whole Shebang" by Timothy Ferris.
    BUT if time didnt exist til man existed, how is that possible?

  8. #18
    Interesting points Conway, I will only tackle a few for now.

    Quote Originally Posted by conway View Post
    if you were locked in a windowless room, how would you be able to tell?
    If you had a clock. No clock? Your fingernails growing.


    How can you actually tell time has passed?
    The concept of time itself (if it is a concept) is based on things passing, not the other way around. Time not passing while you experience reality (are living and breathing) goes against the fundamental concept of time.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    WB: C-street and Mase and Sweetwater and all sorts of chill places around WB. Its rad.
    Posts
    559
    there's no clock and your fingernails and hair growth has been stunted with a special chemical formulated by the obama administration to rally support for the new healthcare overhaul.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    dude, the earth has existed some 6+ billion years before man existed. .
    I am aware of this. Thank you anyway.

    My point is, for that whole 6 billion years, time was passing regardless of whether it had been invented, regardless of whether man was there to watch it pass. If the events through which we measure time took place, then time took place.