LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming swells

Upcoming swells

Yeah, i know these types of threads are no good, but i think this COULD be a special situation.

Now, both swells involve heavy SW winds (says noaa). Would that mean that these swells can be overstated on the graphs, since the waves will be there but not really showing for places like NJ?

SW swells are freaking awful.

Images
    no, not overstated on the wave maps, but you have to look at the white arrows to see the swell direction.

SW swells are tricky for Delmarva and New Jersey, but even if the winds blow SW only, there will still be some S swell that makes it in.

The Swellinfo forecasts take into account Swell direction, swell period, refraction etc... That being said, they are still tricky forecasts and tide levels can influence these steep swells greatly.
    Last edited by Swellinfo; Jul 29, 2009 at 07:35 PM.

great, thanks a lot. i remember in the past (must have been last summer) that the swellinfo algorithm didn't take the SW into account. i also vaguely remember something about it being changed for that reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    no, not overstated on the wave maps, but you have to look at the white arrows to see the swell direction.

SW swells are tricky for Delmarva and New Jersey, but even if the winds blow SW only, there will still be some S swell that makes it in.

The Swellinfo forecasts take into account Swell direction, swell period, refraction etc... That being said, they are still tricky forecasts and tide levels can influence these steep swells greatly.
    I live in monmouth county, but am down in lbi for my first time visiting friends and can not figure this place out surfing wise, what would be the best tide for tomorrow's SW swell?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by endlessummer89 View Post
    I live in monmouth county, but am down in lbi for my first time visiting friends and can not figure this place out surfing wise, what would be the best tide for tomorrow's SW swell?
    Pick a jetty and hit it!!

Quote Originally Posted by NJ SPONGIN View Post
    Pick a jetty and hit it!!
    sounds good!

Images
    it wont be any bigger than thigh high tomorrow i bet.

yeah, it doesn't look like much is happening. buoy is reading 6ft and it looks waist at best. direction is 180 deg S...

Images
    ya, overcall this morning. if the period was longer more swell would make it in... Also, might see a little more swell with the incoming. I am going to work further on correcting this overcall.

how do you work that angle in there?

i hope saturday holds up.