LOGIN | REGISTER

Hybrid View

of positive, optimistic forum threads

"If everyone just stuck to positive, optimistic forum threads, the forums might get pretty quiet But, believe it or not, there are some good discussions that arise!"

"Be a leader, start a significant thread! "

For those who know,..the sand dunes in OC have really grown in recent years. It appears that many of the dune grasses have really started to take hold. ( I believe there was a planting of dune grass a number of years back to try and bring the dunes back some) I have noticed that the heavy winter storms that push sand up and over the top of the dunes bury the grasses. But this has allowed them to further entrench themselves. Once the spring and summer hits, the grasses really blossom. The dunes have increased in size as a result as well as the grasses. It would seem the planting of the grasses have and are working to restore the dunes to a more natural state. Many dunes are ripe and ready and have the base to be able to support trees now, not all but many do.

I believe now is the time to further this dune growth by planting pines and trees like you would find on the dunes in CI, AI, FI/DE. I understand that this idea would run into some road blocks due to many hotels/motels in OC saying that the view would be blocked for some of their lower level floors.

So I was hoping for some feed back, what does everyone think. Would this be a good idea? Would the OC council approve it>>>the planting of trees in/on the dunes?

If you have every been down to CI or AI you have got to love how the dunes are so alive with grass, trees, flowers, berries and different plants that you just do not see in OC anymore. If you love the Ocean you have got to have a love for the environment around it.

So what do you think? What are the chances, pros and cons?

feral cats are a huge negative, when you have a lot of dense vegetation its an all out breading ground, , but this past fall i was in moorehead city fishing for false albacore and you would see packs of 15-20 roaming for food , they **** everywhere attack peoples animals.A dog vs 15 rabid cats has no chance they get in the the trash all kind's mess ,

Images

Thumbs up

It would make for a much more solid and sturdy beach front, further protecting the millions of dollars invested, lost, and wasted behind the dune line. But the view - people pay for that view. I'm sure there will be opposition.

Thank you Army Corps of Engineers for designing such a well thought out dune barrier. It beats jetties every 2 blocks like some of our northern neighbor states. Now let's hope for some tropical storms to rip that sh*t up and make some sandbars!

Do they still have issues with foxes (real ones, not the cute human ones) in the dunes too?

Thanks for the positive feedback.

point taken about the cats,...down town OC has a large pack of them. Never really seen many north of the board walk though. I Think that is due to less hand outs by the tourons once the board walk stops.

The dunes do have a large Rabbit population. And that is why you tend to see the fox on the dunes, the rabbits have their backs to the ocean and no where to run really. The fox are all over bay side, huge population of fox over their, and they make the trek over to the dunes to feed.

Yes the views being blocked would be a sticking point.

The tree planting sure would go a long way in help retain those dunes and the beach itself.

Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    Do they still have issues with foxes (real ones, not the cute human ones) in the dunes too?
    cute human foxes??

an old school term of hot girls.