LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Its a great idea but...

The primary dune environment is very harsh and most tree species will not survive on the dunes in OC. If you look at the vegitation on the primary dune on a more natural barrier island say Assateague you will not find any trees on the first dune. Trees are not usually found till at least the secondary dune system.

Since there is property on all of the OC coast it will be hard for the dunes to move, and a complete dune system to form.

That is a good point,.. however, many dunes have enough space behind them where you may be able to plant a three to four foot wide, section at least,.. while the dune itself provides a buffer from the harshness to which you speak. I know FI still has some nice Pines right in back of the dunes. I would think even a planting in these areas would be a positive and help root systems get stronger in the dunes themselves.

But you are right, other then CI or FI/DE you really do not see that first line of dunes support those types of trees, that close to the water, Not that it has always been that way.

But I still think there is room or some way they could start/try to integrate a more diverse set of plants/growth to strengthen what they have started.

Wish they could find a test area that they could plant and monitor over three to five years to see if maybe something would take.

Good comments...everyone. and Nice Scope!!!!!!!!!! on that piece of Iron!!!

xgen

that scope is sick! its specifically designed for the ballistics of a 55 grain .223 bullet so that as long as i know the range i can put the recticle on the target and it's dead on every time (windage excluded of course). That rifle is murder on varmints at ranges up to 700 yards. After that I bring out the .308 Rem PSS.

Here's a shot of the recticle:

Last edited by aka pumpmaster; Aug 4, 2009 at 07:48 PM.

I think the fact of it strengthening the dunes itself would help the cause a great deal. They are pretty ugly right now too, I really think anything to help them LOOK better will prove to be a positive, despite the fact they may obstruct the view a bit... all around it would make it look better. I don't think there is anything bad about this idea, may be a good one for surfrider to push.

Also about the cats, I actually have one of those feral cats now! Have for over a year. It is crazy how many are running around here. Sad. Those stupid kids who live here for one year and decide to get a cat, and LEAVE the cat when they leave themselves, deserve to be shot on principle. The cats they disregard have more sense.

Changing views

Great thread, sea oats in a breeze is a beautiful thing. The idea of “test plots” makes the most sense. The scrub shrub environment on Assueteague should serve as a model. Bay berry, holy, and other low lying shrubs may allow the view to be maintained. The more people get used to seeing the barrier island in its “natural” state, the better, even if it is just for aesthetic reasons.

There are local groups in Hollywood Florida that trap and spade feral cats, and I understand it is working for them.

a cheaper option is to shoot them.

Yea, I hear they are eating Pipping Plovers I just thought some of you OC surfers would enjoy cutting their balls off.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    a cheaper option is to shoot them.
    Your 308 is too powerful for a small kitten. 22s are more fun anyway, cause you can shoot them like dualies. One in each hand with a sandbag under them... what a blast.

agreed. for something like a cat, i use my .223 or a 22 mag.

Just a little FYI. You should be cursing those dunes. Without the plants there to stabilize them, all the sand would fly into the ocean and make sandbars. Come on guys!!! Ever heard of Cape St. Francis????