LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

nicaragua or el salvador

still planning that feb trip this year. and we were thinking of nicaragua, but people say that its very dry, like no lush forests and stuff like that. also we were thinking of el salvador it has forests good waves and the locals are good in the water in weekdays, but ive heard that its "dangerous" . but i dont think that its like what they say. has anyone ever been to thes places, and what do you think about them?

Images
    february is the wrong time on a surf trip to either of these places. The south pacific is not very active during this time, and these areas of Central America do not pick up a lot of the north pacific swells. I would pick some where else for this time of year.

If you are planning to hit Central America that time of the year you need to be on the opposite coast.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    february is the wrong time on a surf trip to either of these places. The south pacific is not very active during this time, and these areas of Central America do not pick up a lot of the north pacific swells. I would pick some where else for this time of year.
    do you think theres going to still be overhead waves tho, because im taking my son too. So we wouldnt really be looking for double overhead waves. like at least 8 foot, or do you think that puerto escondido would be better than that. or where in central america would you suggest

Images
    the north pacific coast of costa rica is more exposed to the northerly winter swells.

Some other options are the caribbean side of Costa Rica, or Bocas Del Toro in Panama.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    the north pacific coast of costa rica is more exposed to the northerly winter swells.

Some other options are the caribbean side of Costa Rica, or Bocas Del Toro in Panama.
    we were also thinking of the caribean too because some flights are cheap, and to go to st. thomas is 330$ round trip, so your pretty much saying that tamarindo area in costa would be better than nica, el salvador, and puerto esc at that time?

Images
    yes. you have puerto rico as well, which is an easy trip.

Images
    If you can push your trip and just wait another two months till April, Nicaragua and El Salvador start to turn on. Chances are you will score fun size surf since its the start of the southern hemi season. Remember there are no grantees with any surf trip, you could run into a early or off season mega swell or it could be flat. I went two Nicaragua last April and it was about 4'-6' every day for two weeks with a few 8' days.
    Last edited by SeaDaddy; Aug 11, 2009 at 09:51 AM.

Nicaragua would be horrible in February. They have offshore winds that time of year that reach hurricane force, they will be blowing every day 20+ offshore. Like others said, check out the Caribe side of Costa or Panama.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyh View Post
    Nicaragua would be horrible in February. They have offshore winds that time of year that reach hurricane force, they will be blowing every day 20+ offshore. Like others said, check out the Caribe side of Costa or Panama.
    well i know about the winds. so i think its either puerto escondido, costa rica, or somewhere in the carribean