LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Images
    I paddled out in Hurricane Dean swell in 1989. I had no business being out there, having only started bodyboarding that year. That storm had a very similar track to Bill, albeit at a somewhat lower intensity. Ocean City, MD can not handle that type of swell. All I remember were block long closeouts. By the time I got outside, I was scared ****less. I would paddle for a wave, look left, look right and pull back. I can still remember the sound the waves made when they broke in like no inches of water. I finally decided that I was just going to have to drop in and hope I didn't die. I rode straight down the wave and it exploded on my fins and nearly sucked me off my board. I was grateful just to make it back in. I would estimate the waves to be somewhere at 10 to 12 feet that day.

Some places can handle this kind of swell. OCMD ain't it.

WB: C-street and Mase and Sweetwater and all sorts of chill places around WB. Its rad.
    **** man, i don't have any sort of equipment for DOH surf, the best i got for that kind of juice is a 6'5" squashtail that's 15 years old.

pray for me or something, i'll need it.

5-7ft sat, 5-8ft sunday doubt jersey will see any 10 footers unless at standout breaks past bayhead and they will most likely be closeouts.

I think people are getting way too psyched out for this, 5-7ft is normal at other breaks around the world and consistent. The problem is how will jersey handle this swell, if it's clean and you dont see huge closeouts then charge it man. If there are closeouts and its a big scene, I'm smarter then to paddle out because it doenst make sense.

You will never surf sizable waves unless you try, I'm not talking about Waimea or Mavericks bombs that are 15ft and huge paddles--this is 5-8ft waves.

If you are in shape, have the right quiver, check the lineup and time sets, get amped up--why not paddle out if its clean? Worse comes to worse you catch one wave and are stoked, who cares what other people think. If you try and cant make it, well..there a bunch of people sitting on the beach who couldnt go out either so its all good.

WB: C-street and Mase and Sweetwater and all sorts of chill places around WB. Its rad.
    Quote Originally Posted by dredg2 View Post

If you are in shape, have the right quiver, check the lineup and time sets, get amped up--why not paddle out if its clean? Worse comes to worse you catch one wave and are stoked, who cares what other people think. If you try and cant make it, well..there a bunch of people sitting on the beach who couldnt go out either so its all good.
    you are a wise man.

Quote Originally Posted by conway View Post
    **** man, i don't have any sort of equipment for DOH surf, the best i got for that kind of juice is a 6'5" squashtail that's 15 years old.

pray for me or something, i'll need it.
    Join the club, I have the same but its 2 years old and fairly new but I'm 5"8 so its long enough for me for 5-8ft surf, could use a little mode volume though--so some waves will def be tougher to catch. paddle your *ass off

Quote Originally Posted by dredg2 View Post
    Join the club, I have the same but its 2 years old and fairly new but I'm 5"8 so its long enough for me for 5-8ft surf, could use a little mode volume though--so some waves will def be tougher to catch. paddle your *ass off
    i just hope i don't spin out everytime i try to bottom turn

i think surfline is right about wave height for new jerey. mr. swellinfo made a great comparison where mavericks will be 40ft and a break right next to it will only be overhead. i am estimating south jersey to be 2ft overhead kinda sloppy on sat, but fun...and sunday head-3ft overhead and pretty much epic..how its gonna happen reminds me just of hannah, where sunday was absolutly going off, sat was big and fun, and friday was stomach high and really fun. i have a feeling it will play out the same way. to all those worriers, chill out, get pysched, this is the time to get barreled for the first time this summer!

there is go way it will possibly be triple overhead and offshore. now maybe OBX...

i forget what storm it was, maybe a noreaster but 2-4 years ago the guards didnt let anyone go out. surfers and tourists alike. we traveled to assateague and went out against the guards will and they called the police on us. they let us go and we went back to oc and once the guards were gone we went right out. no problem. probably an 8-10ft day and glassy.

dredg2, I have to disagree. We definitely have had surf that's been 9 - 12 feet in atlantic city. While some of the breaks in AC won't get that big due to bottom conditions, others places in the city absolutely have the capability to handle waves in that spectrum.

To be quite honest, i'll be happy with ANY waves this storm provides. From what we've had for the past 3 or so weeks, anything will be much appreciated.

And depending on what this brings, i'll either be riding my 9' or my 6'4". And you can be sure that I will be out there at some point simply enjoying the waves bodysurfing.

See ya out there...

Images
    in my opinion that 5-7 ft forecast is waaay to conservative.

but you can make up your own opinion on what you think 8-10 ft+ @ 18 seconds will be at your break.