LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

probable road closures...

Just curious as to what the odds people think for this swell are on 12 closing down between Hatteras to Bodie islands and if it does how long does it normally take to reopen...

Also has the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel ever shut down from a swell...?

Images
    this ground swell may not create the type of erosion and storm surge that occurs when a storm is right on the coast. Since, the storm will be far enough away, my guess is this won't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    this ground swell may not create the type of erosion and storm surge that occurs when a storm is right on the coast. Since, the storm will be far enough away, my guess is this won't be an issue.

glad to hear that...

Images
    yeah i was thinking the same thing im in hatteras and wondering how im going to get home saturday with the wash over by s turns and north of there... hoping to get home in time for there to still be waves at my home break

I'm thinking there will be some storm surge.

Smile

i don't think they will close the chesapeake bay bridge tunnel for big swells, but watch the winds. they will close it--or restrict vehicles with surfboards on roof racks--in the event of high winds (30mph or so). call ahead before heading south. the route through annapolis to richmond to norfolk to obx is a long and crappy ride. had to take the long way home after mothers day '08. the joy of the morning's stand-up barrels faded fast in northern virginia traffic.

hope you get some good'n's this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by matt720 View Post
    yeah i was thinking the same thing im in hatteras and wondering how im going to get home saturday with the wash over by s turns and north of there... hoping to get home in time for there to still be waves at my home break
    why would you want to leave hatteras to go to your home break? especially when there are waves like this. crazy, man, crazy. Screw S-turns, I'd surf the wreck or outer break at Frisco's, besides the secret spots I can't mention.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rodndtube View Post
    I'm thinking there will be some storm surge.
    I agree...i was in OBX for part of the Halloween 1991 swell, blue skies light winds, huge long period swells. Surf came across highway 12 around the Rodanthe area. The road wasn't closed, but you had to drive through water. It may it may actually be called "wave setup" and "wave runup" rather than surge when the higher water levels along the coast are purely a function of swell activity rather than wind and barometric pressure... but water is water...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    I agree...i was in OBX for part of the Halloween 1991 swell, blue skies light winds, huge long period swells. Surf came across highway 12 around the Rodanthe area. The road wasn't closed, but you had to drive through water. It may it may actually be called "wave setup" and "wave runup" rather than surge when the higher water levels along the coast are purely a function of swell activity rather than wind and barometric pressure... but water is water...
    ****, this is bad news. I'll be pulling in to that part of town around 11 AM on Saturday. Dare county has a web cam setup at S-turns that focuses on the road. I can check that from my Blackberry to see how bad it looks. How will Dare notify the public if there is a road closure there? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by wang View Post
    why would you want to leave hatteras to go to your home break? especially when there are waves like this. crazy, man, crazy. Screw S-turns, I'd surf the wreck or outer break at Frisco's, besides the secret spots I can't mention.
    Here we go with the "secret spots" again.........