LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

why does WB suck?

Aside all of the kook related issues... I've been wondering this for a long time...the sandbars dont compare to the islands south and even to form ive seen in topsail and lee island. what's the deal? is it the beach reclamation?

Images
    I think you just answered your own question. The sandbars just aren't as good.

Not a local, but in any region the bathymetry (offshore depths), and longshore drifts can vary quite dramatically from different areas in the small region. Thus giving you different types of sandbars and such.

Images
    How have the sandbars down in CB been in comparison in recent years? Do they suffer from the same misfortune?

CB is constantly changing, as are all islands like these. You just have to be willing to look and find where it breaks.

Bottom countours

Well, in CB the water gets deeper quicker off the sand bars more so than WB. I may be wrong, but I think that has soemthing to do with it...

What?

In my opinion WB is the best on this stretch of coast. Topsail might be slightly bigger but its too soft and gutless and only breaks consistently at the pier, CB is usually smaller and closed out and sucks between mid-high tides. CB has it's days but they are farther and fewer than WB. Lee Island requires a winning lottery ticket and a mountain of luck to score! WB works on a lot of different levels you just have to look around right now. It's not an epic wave but we don't have any of those around here anyway. The crowds are rediculous, but for tides, consistency and rideable waves, it tough to surf more somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by wik View Post
    In my opinion WB is the best on this stretch of coast. Topsail might be slightly bigger but its too soft and gutless and only breaks consistently at the pier, CB is usually smaller and closed out and sucks between mid-high tides. CB has it's days but they are farther and fewer than WB. Lee Island requires a winning lottery ticket and a mountain of luck to score! WB works on a lot of different levels you just have to look around right now. It's not an epic wave but we don't have any of those around here anyway. The crowds are rediculous, but for tides, consistency and rideable waves, it tough to surf more somewhere else.

you keep thinking that and keep your ass in wb. I like surfing head high barrels by myself. Topsail isn't soft and gutless at all, and believe it or not there are breaks on the island. You just have to look for them. And as far as a winning lottery ticket is concerned, I've got mine. I'm not saying wb isn't a fun wave, i'm just sayin there are places better.
    Last edited by gnargnarshredda; Aug 30, 2009 at 02:21 PM.

wb

I think wb has better shape and longer rides. I love cb but that place closes out more often then not. CB def has more power. CB is just too deep and tides raise hell with the place. Give me TI anyday baby!

Wb/cb

Well, CB is deeper, which is why WB seems more consistent. Some of the sand bars are super shallow on WB, which is why they break more on a smaller swell especially and are more consistent. However, because CB is deeper, it holds bigger waves better and is why there were plenty of barrels to go around, and also why the waves have better shape when it's closing out in WB. Both places have places that break sick from different swell directions, with different winds. You just have to know the formulas for your breaks to find a good spot. You can find uncrowded waves even on WB. Everyone just flocks to the easiest places to park. I will say this though....This past Saturday, we did have a small window before the wind messed it up (very small) on WB. We had barrels to go around, and I shared plenty, with only three of my friends. I think we all should be happy wherever we surfed, because we had about 9 days straight of surfable waves. Hopefully the swells keep coming.....

I surf CB almost everyday. Even if it is marginally knee high you can always go out at some spot and jump on a fish to do a few turns. Obviously there are flat days but it seems pretty consistent to me. Everytime I have been to WB it is more crowded and less powerful. However I have only been to WB twenty or thirty times so I don't have that big of a sample size to judge from. Either way, this region is alot better than other places on the East Coast I have lived (North FL, New England). It seems we get overshadowed alot by the fact that OBX is close and is obviously the best region on the east coast for surf.