LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LVl<E View Post
    dont know much about them but the way it looks is theyre just like anacapa. theyre boards probably with same dimensions as another company like how anacapa are al merrick shapes just theyre being made in china for way less
    Not that it makes much difference but the Anacapa is not that bad a stick as far as ride and durability and is actually made in Thailand and Malaysia. I would put someone on them before an Equinox or an Isle. People generally buy what they can afford and I dont blame them for that but many think a custom board from a local shaper is expensive and thats just not the case.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wave1rider65 View Post
    That's right!........I always buy from a local shaper! I do like that Jay stepped up and made a comment on this thread though. Good on ya .
    This thread is nearly 3 years old and Jay came around to defend himself and his company a year later?

Old news guys. Let's put the popout purveyor to bed.

I just bought a quad retro fish from jay. He helped me through the entire process, asked about the conditions I surf, my experience and proficiency, and then my board was made to spec by Alex Gamino. He ain't in China, for sure. Custom board. I just waxed it and it's going in the water tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Agabinet View Post
    I just bought a quad retro fish from jay. He helped me through the entire process, asked about the conditions I surf, my experience and proficiency, and then my board was made to spec by Alex Gamino. He ain't in China, for sure. Custom board. I just waxed it and it's going in the water tomorrow.
    Ride what you like. Equipment is a small part of the overall picture. Spending a few years racing mountain bikes I found that nice equipment or top or top of the line stuff is nice, but on a cost basis analysis does a 7500 bike ride that much better then an off the shelf 1200 steel hard tail. Not really. My favorite surfboard, a $250 Larry Mabile quad. Why 250? Because the paint was too yellow and no one wanted to put in a surfshop in So Cal. If you enjoy your 200 surfboard from China, go for it. If you like the 800 custom from the local guy, good for you.

Local shaper . . . my Equinox retro fish was shaped in California by Alex Gamino.

Quote Originally Posted by Agabinet View Post
    Local shaper . . . my Equinox retro fish was shaped in California by Alex Gamino.
    You said you were from Rhode Island

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    You said you were from Rhode Island
    Sorry, I mean a local shaper as opposed to mass produced. Every shaper is local to someone. If I have my board made by a custom shaper in OBX (Tim Nolte) does it matter if I take it up to RI to surf it? It's still a local shaper as opposed to a mega-producer. Or do I only count as using a local shaper if I buy from Dave Levy in Narragansett? Can I go to Connecticut and still be local? How about down to Jersey . . . I just meant not mass produced. Either way, Nolte/OBX or Gamino/CA, either stick will beat a Bic!

Cheers.