LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beach Pumping

Beach Pumping

Just found out that they are doing sand pumping in N Wildwood (my home break) starting on the 18th. From past experience in OCMD that killed the breaks down there. Anybody else in jerz recently go through this and did it help or hurt your spots?

i surf in long branch. ruined my favorite wave (the pit, rip), as well as many others in the area. the sand just keeps moving and slowly taking over other breaks and ruining them. **** just breaks right on the beach.

the worst part is now taht there are like 5-6 less spots in the area, everyone is being concentrated into remaining breaks which has resulted in considerable crowding.

sucks soooo f*cking bad. i miss the pit

Images
    Oh man, don't get me started on this subject. Personally I have never seen beach pumping do any good for the surfing in the immediate area of the pumping. Maybe there is potential for improvement in the direction of the drift but if there are jetties or anything to stop the sand say goodbye (sorry to say).The Wildwood of my childhood had the widest beaches I have every seen, like sahara desert wide. Is that Wildwood and not N.Wildwood?
    Last edited by Zippy; Sep 9, 2009 at 03:45 PM.

N wildwood is where the pumping is, Wildwood has the crazy wide beaches.

say goodbye to all of your favorite spots.

just think of all those barrels you had coming off that one jetty/pipe/sandbar during the winter on those s-se swells that you will NEVER EVER get again. ugh

Images
    I hate to beat the Sandy Hook horse to death but that is absolutely the worst case of destruction due to beach pumping that I have ever seen. Long Branch and the beaches further south are a disaster as well. I have a Friend who still lives in Jersey who gave up surfing because he couldn't find a good wave without 100 guys on it most of the time. Everybody is crammed together at "good" spots that are mere shadows of what they were.

I live in long branch and have surfed there for a long time. yes, the replenishment screwed things up royally but thats just plain false that it will never break again. Look what happend last time they did replenishment in long branch. It took a couple of years but the breaks eventually came back... theres a few spots that a few weeks ago wouldnt break at all and after the past two significant swells they are already showing signs of comming back... Lets see what happens this winter when some storms move some of that sand around

ok maybe i exaggerated about it NEVER breaking again. some spots will prob break again in a while. but, even after some of these swells, it pretty much looked the same. if anything, maybe worse. all that sand from the pit seems like it's making its way north.

one big noreaster this winter def can change things though
    Last edited by mOtion732; Sep 9, 2009 at 05:22 PM.

Images

Question

I wonder if you asked people who live south of LBI through Cape May about beach nourishment, if their viewpoint is a little different.
    In the southern part of the state, the grainsize of the sand, the slope of the nearshore and offshore region, the elevation of the native beach, the design of the fills in this area, and the overall dynamics of the region are different than that of Monmouth County and northern Ocean County.
    I am wondering if it reacts differently and the results are less 'drastic' than Monmouth County and northern Ocean County.

Yeah, good call. I know it really hurt Cape May alot and have heard that it hurt OCNJ. Has anyone been to Sea Isle recently since I think their pumping just wrapped up?