LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beach Pumping

Hybrid View

Beach Pumping

Just found out that they are doing sand pumping in N Wildwood (my home break) starting on the 18th. From past experience in OCMD that killed the breaks down there. Anybody else in jerz recently go through this and did it help or hurt your spots?

i surf in long branch. ruined my favorite wave (the pit, rip), as well as many others in the area. the sand just keeps moving and slowly taking over other breaks and ruining them. **** just breaks right on the beach.

the worst part is now taht there are like 5-6 less spots in the area, everyone is being concentrated into remaining breaks which has resulted in considerable crowding.

sucks soooo f*cking bad. i miss the pit

Images
    Oh man, don't get me started on this subject. Personally I have never seen beach pumping do any good for the surfing in the immediate area of the pumping. Maybe there is potential for improvement in the direction of the drift but if there are jetties or anything to stop the sand say goodbye (sorry to say).The Wildwood of my childhood had the widest beaches I have every seen, like sahara desert wide. Is that Wildwood and not N.Wildwood?
    Last edited by Zippy; Sep 9, 2009 at 04:45 PM.

N wildwood is where the pumping is, Wildwood has the crazy wide beaches.

say goodbye to all of your favorite spots.

just think of all those barrels you had coming off that one jetty/pipe/sandbar during the winter on those s-se swells that you will NEVER EVER get again. ugh

Images
    I hate to beat the Sandy Hook horse to death but that is absolutely the worst case of destruction due to beach pumping that I have ever seen. Long Branch and the beaches further south are a disaster as well. I have a Friend who still lives in Jersey who gave up surfing because he couldn't find a good wave without 100 guys on it most of the time. Everybody is crammed together at "good" spots that are mere shadows of what they were.

I live in long branch and have surfed there for a long time. yes, the replenishment screwed things up royally but thats just plain false that it will never break again. Look what happend last time they did replenishment in long branch. It took a couple of years but the breaks eventually came back... theres a few spots that a few weeks ago wouldnt break at all and after the past two significant swells they are already showing signs of comming back... Lets see what happens this winter when some storms move some of that sand around

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    Just found out that they are doing sand pumping in N Wildwood (my home break) starting on the 18th. From past experience in OCMD that killed the breaks down there. Anybody else in jerz recently go through this and did it help or hurt your spots?
    Hey, Ive been surfing for 11 years, and im only 16 years old. i live around sea bright nj and thats where i wish i could surf. 8 years ago, i would be able to surf there, but since they pumbed the beach we have lost all our jettis and even on the biggest days, the waves are still only breaking out 5 or 10 feet. on a sucking up shore break, which is impossible to ride. Now everytime i go surfing, i have to ride my bike to long branch with a surfboard in my hand to go surfing. its a 11 mile ride for me which takes about an hour and a half. Im comepletely against beach pumping and hopefully they never do it again!

NEver

This is my first post, I felt compelled to write since this is a subject I am very passionate about.

Sandy Hook, Long Branch, North Monmouth County...

These are all examples of how beach replenishment has had a negative effect on the overall beach quality for the benefit of those few individuals who decided to build to close to the ocean (really bright!)

I have been surfing for 18 years and Sandy Hook could not be compared to. By far, it was when of the best places to be when there was swell. After the replenishment, the 200 yards of sand has done nothing but protect the grass that grows there. What a waste of funds, I agree that some of the money should go towards research and development of alternatives-something that is always discussed but never acted upon.

Here are some before and after pictures of the Hook...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gumbya55; Sep 10, 2009 at 04:28 AM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbya55 View Post
    Here are some before and after pictures of the Hook...
    Where'd the pics go?...they we good shots..