LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beach Pumping

Images
    I do know that some breaks that didn't break/broke less often before some of these fills, woke up afterward; some were pretty good too..but I do understand/have witnessed the demise (albeit temporary) of some breaks as well.

I'm hearing that the frequency of 'new' breaks was higher in in the southern reaches of the NJ coast than in the northern reaches, but I personally know that some 'new' breaks have been the result of added sand/changed break contour/etc.

But it is also in the eye of the beholder, as some bodyboarders like different waves than surfers do...some have definitely suffered though...

Images
    in delmarva, the sand pumping almost always destroys break... but mostly temporary.

i think you are right. my experience has been always bad with pumping but I think some spots in NWW are going to get a lot better and many are going to get killed.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    in delmarva, the sand pumping almost always destroys break... but mostly temporary.
    temporary is a relative term, anything north of dewey, save one spot, has been nigh unrideable for multiple years now...

yeah, i know that north OC was pretty much completely destroyed.

skimboarders are loving LB now. sweet.

I have often wondered if the incidence of neck injuries from the shorebreak goes up after beach replenishment. It would seem that it would almost have to, given the dumping waves that you get after sand is pumped.

I have never understood why they don't find a way to construct a sand bar when they do the replenishment. It would seem that the existence of a bar would protect the investment in the replenishment, enhance the safety of swimmers and preserve a break for surfers.

A win, win, win.

they don't care nearly enough about surfers. that's why.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fatoldguy View Post
    I have never understood why they don't find a way to construct a sand bar when they do the replenishment. It would seem that the existence of a bar would protect the investment in the replenishment, enhance the safety of swimmers and preserve a break for surfers.
    Because there is no feasible way to pump/shape sand below the low water area. To physically get the equipment in the area where we would need a bar to be placed is next to (if not completely) impossible. They tried to pump a 'pointbreak' in Long Branch that would shed sand and possibly taper bars off of the end; but pumping sand into 30 feet of water proved that to be a very short term enhancement to the surfing break. To actually raise the seafloor elevation enough to support a sand point and its bars proved to be an costly/timely investment that was well beyond the scope and cost benefit of the shore protection aspect of the project. The best it did was act as a feeder beach for the downdrift beaches...which is a positive for the shore protection portion

But agreed that a bar would provide a wave tripping mechanism that could 1) preserve the replenishment/investment and 2) enhance/preserve a surf break.

very informative. apparently the pit and some close by breaks totally lit up the first swell that came through. that was short lived though.

why not some sort of artificial reef?
    Last edited by mOtion732; Sep 9, 2009 at 07:31 PM.