LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Beach Pumping

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
    Because there is no feasible way to pump/shape sand below the low water area. To physically get the equipment in the area where we would need a bar to be placed is next to (if not completely) impossible.
    A split hull dredge can get into shallow enough water to dump its load straight into the near shore and form a sand bar that would quickly form bars that would break at most tides with a bit of swell. Pumping out of the hopper dredges could be also be done in shallow enough water to accomplish that.

technical difficulties arent the reason they dont do it.

The engineers i've talked to that are involved in these projects completely recognize the benefits of creating near shore sand bars which would both protect the dry beach during storms, and reduce the shorepound that swimmers, lifeguards, and surfers (in that order of priority, by the way) have come to hate.

But they dont design these projects that way and the reason they dont do it is simple political fear that they will be accused of spending money on something you cant "see". People already accuse the projects of being a waste of money because the sand just washes away. Imagine how much grief they would get if they didnt even put the sand on the beach in the first plase...no matter how much sense it makes. Local politicians and chambers of commerce want to see a HUGE WIDE DRY BEACH for the millions of dollars they spend. Thousands of tourists fat butts on sand is the reason you they spend the millions of dollars pumping sand up on huge beaches rather than using a design that benefits swimmers, surfers and other users.

Images
    Mitchell, that is a great point that makes me kinda sick to my stomach.

Images
    I wish i surfed during those sandy hook days. The pics look sick

I'm heading out to sea isle tomorrow so i'll let you guys know it's breaking down there.

Images
    In hindsight it was sick, too bad I didn't know how sick at the time .
    Last edited by Zippy; Sep 10, 2009 at 03:44 AM.

Northender Guest
    beach pumping destroyed my break in virginia beach. Well sorta. They put this drainage run off 1000 feet of the beach, and now the northend is all shore break, even on big swells, reminds me of the obx. Its whateva tho, both its pluss, and disadvandeges. Super tubes= mass of broken boards

Several sand pumpings over the past 15 years have destroyed the quality, quanity and character of surf breaks along the Ocean City coastline and are in the process of doing the same in Delaware. The engineers have been to the till a couple of times and have depleted the source of matching sands so things will only get worse. Personally, I'd like to see groins every two to three blocks again.

oh man the memories

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    Hey those are my Sandy Hook pics ! LBNJ Local, remember some of those breaks going right into the seawall in Seabright? Remember the Ship Ahoy Jetty? Great fishing although I never looked there on a swell. There were a ton of great spots with no parking so you had to park and walk to get to them. Lots of great spots with no beach, no beach goers and no crowds. I had a lot of people yell at me over the years because I parked in front of their house.
    Ship Ahoy jetty = Logs! What a great wave that was when the sand was right. That whole stretch of beach from Sandy Hook - Brothers would fire pretty often. I started surfing in 1988, at anchorage in SB and on the regular til they did the sand project in 96, I can remember some spots waking up during the pumping...Little Hawaii, sickest right dredgers, Brothers... great times!

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    A split hull dredge can get into shallow enough water to dump its load straight into the near shore and form a sand bar that would quickly form bars that would break at most tides with a bit of swell. Pumping out of the hopper dredges could be also be done in shallow enough water to accomplish that.

technical difficulties arent the reason they dont do it.

The engineers i've talked to that are involved in these projects completely recognize the benefits of creating near shore sand bars which would both protect the dry beach during storms, and reduce the shorepound that swimmers, lifeguards, and surfers (in that order of priority, by the way) have come to hate.

But they dont design these projects that way and the reason they dont do it is simple political fear that they will be accused of spending money on something you cant "see". People already accuse the projects of being a waste of money because the sand just washes away. Imagine how much grief they would get if they didnt even put the sand on the beach in the first plase...no matter how much sense it makes. Local politicians and chambers of commerce want to see a HUGE WIDE DRY BEACH for the millions of dollars they spend. Thousands of tourists fat butts on sand is the reason you they spend the millions of dollars pumping sand up on huge beaches rather than using a design that benefits swimmers, surfers and other users.
    Thanks Mitchell for the explanation.

I have always thought, without knowing for sure, that sand bar creation was entirely feasible as well as entirely desirable, and as such I had no idea why it wasn't done.

It is unfortunate that politicians have such a tin ear about this. I spent a considerable amount of time on vacation this year driving from north Ocean City Maryland to the south end because my youngest daughter loves swimming in the ocean where there is a sand bar.

Exposing swimmers to the dangers of a shore break for cosmetic reasons is unconscionable.

We should organize a protest and demand the better option for pumping next time they try to pump our beaches.