LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: jersey or cali

cali

I moved from wrong island to cali 3 months ago. have to say it was one of the best decisions of my life. personally i dont miss a thing with regards to the "surfing" done on the east coast. the quality, consistency, form, variety of breaks out here - all are far superior to the east coast, i think.

though you kind of got to laugh when guys are wearing 5 mils/boots/gloves/hoods out here, and the water is like 56 degrees.. looking back on it, winter surfing in the northeast is pretty core, in its own way. though the quality of the surf usually sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by rodndtube View Post
    Sorry, Zach, but I think you've been hanging out with the Slightly Stoopid gang down at Dog Beach way too much the past 7 years. I am not gonna question each statement below about *Southern California* other than to say most are gross exaggerations.

Also, it is only fair to compare apples to apples when talking about California from the Baja border to the San Francisco Bay area -- more or less the same distance as Narragansett, RI to the Outer Banks, NC.

Personally, I would choose the N. Oregon area, for a whole host of reasons, wear a 4/3 instead of a 3/2, and take my periodic trip to the tropics vs. the sewage infested waters of the SoCal area.
    Slight Exaggerations.....

The weather is almost always perfect

The waves are consistent

The winters are amazing out there

....There is the sewage which can make you sick if it does rain. But all in all it is pretty amazing

i love surfing in socal and baja norte, best waves ive gotten in north america... especially once everyone on the east coast needs a hood youre still good in a 3/2 thats so satisfying esp if you catch a macking day like at black's. central america and hawaii are better obviously warmer water and bigger swells sometimes, but not necessarily less crowded. ive caught some great days with no crowds in socal... jersey is where the family is tho and thats not gonna change so you can always come back east for hurricane season

I'd have to go with California. The only drawback (aside from being away from your family, assuming they are in NJ) is you're more likely to run into the man in the grey pajamas, but it's so crowded, your odds of being attacked are fairly low.

My company has an office in San Diego (and Hawaii) and I contemplate making the transfer every day, but as of right now, the timing is bad for me. One day though......

i grew up surfing delmarva but i've been living in north LA county for the past few years. i'll never forget the legendary hurricane swells and the perfect and heaving beach breaks on the EC, but.... Cali is where it's at, without a doubt. the waves, women, and weather are simply unmatched. i respect my bros back home who tough out the winters in OCMD but the lifestyle out here is so mellow and it's just easier to be a surfer in general: the water's warmer, nicer, there's more to look at in and out of the water. do yourself a favor and switch sides, you won't regret it. the only thing you will regret is not giving it a solid go. peace

If you were smart... You would spend your winters in colorado...

I lived in SoCal for several years and the guy on here bragging about paying $1100 a month for a spot on the beach is full of SH!T. You don't surf EVERY day! There is not a wave to catch EVERY day. It is not glassy EVERY morning. Why do the ass puppets on here blatantly lie? Go get on a SoCal forum so they can laugh at your New Jersey roots.... big douche.... yeah, I mean you Zach

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycraxcorn View Post
    .... It is not glassy EVERY morning. ....
    Maybe he means it's glassy by EC standards

Does it bother anyone else when people say "Cali"?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BonerSurfs View Post
    Dolphin Tanks and Ralph's Empty??? I don't think so... Those places really only show their true form on really good long period south swells. And when those conditions arise, everyone and their uncle heads out there. You would be better of finding a point in Baja Norte.

P.S. You don't need a boat to get to Ralph's. Just alot of water, and a willingness to walk through lots of prickly vegitation...

And if you get caught walking there, you pay a BIG fine. Boats are the only legal way. The entire end of the pessnisula is off limits...

And I get dolphins with me and the boats captain alone ALL the time.

Yeah, it was crowded during that hyped up south swell last month. But those spots are empty all the time. I dont know what you are talking about. Did you live here and surf there often? If not, I think you are confused.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rodndtube View Post
    Sorry, Zach, but I think you've been hanging out with the Slightly Stoopid gang down at Dog Beach way too much the past 7 years. I am not gonna question each statement below about *Southern California* other than to say most are gross exaggerations.

Dude, you and I have talked about this in the past. And like I said, yeah you told me you visited SD SOOO many times and surf La Jolla for years....

Well dude, you are WAY OFF... I mean, I live here. I surf here everyday.

You told me that YOU DIDNT SURF SOUTH SD COUNTY!!!

Well if you didnt, you are crazy... SOUTH SD picks up EVERY swell angle. La Jolla is not the END ALL spot in SD. Its over-rated like I said....

If you didnt live down by dog beach, dont speak on it...

Ive gotten the heaviest, longest shacked of my life off the dog beach jetty. It and automatic barrel machine, so what are you talking about?

ANd yeah, I hang out with Slightly Stoopid at Winstons. They dont surf anymore...

But whatever dude... You sound like you were here a long time ago, and you were TRAVELING and not living here... So again, keep defending VB and OREGON...

And again, like I told you before. I Dine more in La Jolla than I surf, because the cuisine there is MUCH better than the surf....

You stay up in North COunty missing ever steep North Swell, while everyone south of the san diego river is getting barrels....

Like I said, Stay in La Jolla... All the LSD and camping is rotting your brain.