LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: jersey or cali

jersey or cali

for all of you east coast surfers, i want to hear, if you had the chance to move to california would you do it or stay? california winter or jersey winter? california summer or jersey summer?

is this a serious question? cali for sure. i mean, that's like saying...would you rather marry a playmate or roseanne/rosi odonnell. even when you cant surf there's still so much to do.

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States
    Images

Talking Duh

i'm diehard jersey

that being said, ive never been to cali

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan View Post
    is this a serious question? cali for sure. i mean, that's like saying...would you rather marry a playmate or roseanne/rosi odonnell. even when you cant surf there's still so much to do.
    I would marry Roseanne just to move to Cali!

socal has some advantages: weather is usually pleasant, water never gets real real cold in the winter, there is a variety of surf breaks: point, beach, reef, out of the water activites abound: hiking/biking in the hills, concerts and shows, great restaurants on every streetcorner, lots of sports and arts opportunities for kids and grownups.

socal has some disadvantages: the cost of living is off the hook and good breaks crowd up fast.

the cultural and professional opportunities in the la basin far outnumber those here on delmarva for sure, and the landscape is certainly more interesting to look at. but, googamooga, there sure are a lot of people out there!

i have a buddy who has lived in redondo beach for the past fifteen years. it is really cool to go out and visit him, but i seriously doubt i could afford to live there without entering into a life of crime to pay for it!

if surfing were the only factor then without question - California over NJ - then again if surfing looms that large in your life as to crowd out anything else, more important than family, career, etc. then why settle for California, instead go all out and move to Hawaii, Costa Rica or even Indo

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post

socal has some disadvantages: the cost of living is off the hook

Sorry but I hear this alot. I have been out to Socal over 8 times and actually looking for a place out there as i write this to live.

Cost of living?? It is just as bad where I am at now in NJ. My fiances brother lives in a place right by La Jolla for 1100 a month and the damn place is a 3 bed room and two baths with two decks. (literally less than 5-10 mins from the beach) Find me a place like that in NJ that close to the beach for the same price...

Hey maybe you can but I don't care because at that price for his location that is awesome no matter what State you are in.

Quote Originally Posted by JMD View Post
    My fiances brother lives in a place right by La Jolla for 1100 a month
    rent? .

Quote Originally Posted by Driftingalong View Post
    rent? .
    Ya, sorry, it is a rented condo.

I have only looked at a few places in and around Encinitas and Carlsbad for buying and to tell you the truth it is not that bad. I can tell you that the taxes on houses is much higher here in NJ and if you are looking for an affordable place close to the beach in NJ nowadays FORGET ABOUT IT. Unless I am looking in the wrong places which I could be. Not saying that I am right people find different deals but the things I have been looking for have been this way.

Cali is great, surfed there a few times. The waves are much better but their is something to be said about being from the North East it can be tough to fit in once you leave the area. Besides the ground shakes out there.