LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Photogs

  1. #11
    ever see the lens the surfrider photographer takes out of that suitcase? now thats a lens.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hilton Head Island - OB, SD
    Posts
    2,167
    Images
    26
    Damn, you guys need to come out to visit San Diego. We have like two Photogs in the whole city, and when we know where they will be it's a freaking zoo....

    Seriously, there are NEVER cameras around here. Sometimes I've gotten sessions with the surfshot.com guys, but other than that, its Joe Ewing and Nobody.... Thats why there are NEVER any good photos of the cliffs. Ever. Cause there is never anyone out filming other than japanese tourists!!!!

    I use my Fiance as my photog. Shes pretty good. But I video most of the time. She has a nice 35MM with only a 200 lens on it. Its ok at the beach breaks, but its not enough on the cliffs. Too far away, but my video camera works great on the cliffs. Im 400 yards out and she can zoom into my facial expression..

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    595
    Images
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by jay cagney View Post
    ever see the lens the surfrider photographer takes out of that suitcase? now thats a lens.
    Heh, thats true. One of my friends (an older man) Has an old Nikon Manual film slr. He's got an 800mm and 900mm f/4 I believe. They are freaking HUGE. If you put a tripod by the camera mount of the lens, it would still topple over.

  4. #14
    It is ALL about the glass! If you are going to shoot surfing, you are going to want something in the 300-400mm range. Teleconverters are also helpful in extending your reach and will be a necessity unless you ae going to drop BIG bucks on a BIG lens . You will lose several stops though.

  5. #15
    i use a disposable camera

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by SuburbanScumNJ View Post
    i use a disposable camera
    fuji film or kodak?? I've heard good things about the fuji film

    If any of you guys have a body you're tryin to get rid of send me a pm. There is a good chane I'll be interested.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fernandina Beach
    Posts
    85

    "...send a body..."

    Ahhh, a "Cleaner" are ya? Good on ya, Mate. I'll keep that little nugget handy for when next I need a body disposed of...Thanks.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    595
    Images
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaver View Post
    It is ALL about the glass! If you are going to shoot surfing, you are going to want something in the 300-400mm range. Teleconverters are also helpful in extending your reach and will be a necessity unless you ae going to drop BIG bucks on a BIG lens . You will lose several stops though.
    Teleconverters aren't that great. You can get double the range, so my 300mm will be a 600mm... but it'll start at f/11.2. Unless I'm shooting in the middle of a summer sun. I'm gonna need to have the shutter so slow that it shows the movement. If you got good glass, say a 200mm f/2.8 it makes some sense. cause you can have a 400mm at 5.6, which is in the normal aperture for cheaper glass, but you can still go down to 2.8 when it starts to get dark at the loss of some zoom.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ocean City, MD
    Posts
    975
    Images
    951

    Teleconverters

    Not to mention the tendency to REALLY soft focus in the edges of most teleconverters. Basically, you get what you pay for. Mirror lenses are an option, but they have gremlins of their own like multiplying flare in the shape of your iris leaves.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by tbing View Post
    Teleconverters aren't that great. You can get double the range, so my 300mm will be a 600mm... but it'll start at f/11.2. Unless I'm shooting in the middle of a summer sun. I'm gonna need to have the shutter so slow that it shows the movement. If you got good glass, say a 200mm f/2.8 it makes some sense. cause you can have a 400mm at 5.6, which is in the normal aperture for cheaper glass, but you can still go down to 2.8 when it starts to get dark at the loss of some zoom.
    You are absolutely right, there is a trade off when opting for a teleconverter and personally I'm not a fan of them unless shooting in solid daylight. Although a FANTASTIC lens, the 200mm f/2.8 alone doens't always have the reach to get a tight shot (depending on how far out in the water the subject is). I'm under the impression this guy probably isn't looking to drop $1500 on 100-400mm pro glass or even more money for a lens that is over 400mm. Although using a inexpensive 70-300mm lens on a tripod right at the water's edge is always an affordable option, again depending how far out the person is in the water.

    I saw a mention of film. Shooting film is great and you can learn a lot from doing that. Just go digital, you'll find the learning curve closer to what you want Do some research then find a DSLR kit on E-bay or craigslist. That is a relatively inexpensive way to begin to dabble in the world of photography.