LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Camping in hatteras outer banks

Need an opinion, or several. I'm going down to hatteras at the end of October. I don't want to camp in the campsites for obvious reasons. I'm just going to set up camp along the desolate beach south of the lighthouse. I understand it is not allowed. I have known people who have done it however recently there has been an uproar because of the turtles and bird eggs. I'm very respectful of animals and wouldn't destroy anything. You're aloud to drive on the beach and I certainly wouldn't do anything worse than some fisherman's car would do. Anyway, my questions is...since the new rules, how often and how spread out do the ranger's check the beaches at night. What do you think the odds are of getting caught?? 50 percent , 100 percent, not likely?? thanks guys.

Images

OBX camping

First of all, where are you going to "hide" your vehicle?

It's 2009 bro, chances of getting caught are probably a heck of a lot closer to 100% than 50%, especially if you are attempting to do so for more than one night...imo

Images

camping obx

post it wherever, but know this - pretty risky move and potential adverse consequences to save $25 on camping... Plus, this is the mid-atlantic and a mere 5-5.5 hr drive to get out there...

Regardless, camping in the bushes/off road scrub was always a viable option - be it OBX, Sebies/Shark Pit, hell, virtually anywhere off of A-1-A or any barrier island...in the late 70's, 80's. Things are a bit dicier these days.

Sleep in your car. Thats the only way your not gonna get caught.

Just park in some neighborhood street in the village, and sleep there all night. Thats what I always do.

risky?

What is the risk? How do they handle it? Do you get a small ticket and have to pack up and leave or is it more serious?

i heard that as long as someone is awake, you wont get in trouble

I'm not trying to save money on camping, I just want to be on the beach. And the camps are all off the beach. Frisco is kinda in the dunes I hear. But then you have to deal with families in RV's and bs like that. Also, I'm bringing ATV's down also, I don't think they let you even bring them in on a trailer into the camps...not sure.

Is that true vasponger?? I actually read something similar. Like they can't prove that your not just napping, haha.

Thumbs up

Put a crowbar in your wallet, come off with the money,(our economy needs help here too!), and leave the ATV at home as there is really no place to ride them.If you crash out in your car in a neighborhood, you had better park late at nite and be up and gone early .Don't plan on partying in your car either;the cops love tickets here,especially D.W.I. S. Bring your wettie (up to a fullsuit and booties,and maybe lighter like a s-sleeve spring suit).But most importantly is to bring a good attitude and you will be fine.If you act right you may get a local to let you tent in their yard.You are on an island anyway ,you are 2 minutes from the ocean on the sound side, so no campground is that far from the surf.Enjoy!

If you really want to camp on the beach with your truck free bird then go to the core banks. From Ocracoke, take the ferry to Cedar island and take a private ferry to the core banks and you can camp wherever you want for however long your supplies last. Cape Hatteras you may as well just stay in Frisco, it's a nice campground and there are plenty of remote sites for you to do the fantasy role playing thing...Just messing with you bro but the NPS rangers patrol the length of Hatteras island so 100 percent you will have to explain yourself by midnight...