LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Hmmm... it seems that there was a post on this forum a couple weeks ago that mentioned a AB3 event in NJ. This might be a great opportunity for some of you in the NJ area to ride some of these boards... it's coming up this weekend. The coolest thing about the AB3 is that you can walk up to one of a hundred plus assorted boards, talk to the shaper about the board, go paddle out on it and ride a few waves, then come back in and talk price and/or your custom dimensions. Its a great way to find local shapers and try their boards with out the fear of commitment.

I really recommend checking this out if you are in the NJ area, the ones out here on the West Coast are just the bees knees and I try to attend every one of them...

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    Some new local shapers will be showing and demoing their boards at the Anything But 3 event this year.
    the AB3 is a gathering of surfers and shapers to talk about board design & construction, and also give you a chance to try out some sticks from talented local shapers built for the local conditions.
    AB3 is Saturday, Sept 26th, Hudson Ave in Harvey Cedars, LBI.
    more info here:
    http://anythingbut3east.blogspot.com/

Come check out

B.C.Winn Surfboards

One95 Surfboards

Antide Surfboards

Greenlight Surfboards

Greenlight will also be demoing Sunova Surfboards at the event

That post was from this thread

wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    i own 2 high performance shortboard 1 is a al merrick flyer tuflite the other is a local shaper donw where i live named jimmy keith and all of his boards are epoxy. i to be honest like my jimmy keith as it turns better also it has parabolic rails and wont lose much speed off the bottom turn and just feels so much better than my flyer. my flyer yes they're strong and can take a beating but look at m flyer and it has battle wonds alot of them so they are not industructible, but the flyer just has to much float and doesnt seem to do good on east coast waves where as my jimmy keith does good on any size wave that we get. so i would defiently recommend getting an ec shaper.

here is the link to jimmy keiths website if you wanna check him out.
    http://www.greenroomboardco.com/

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tsurfn View Post
    theres no way a local shaper is gonna be less quality than a shelf board...even if its lost or CI...if anything its gonna be just as good or better
    I'm as down as anyone with local shapers....all of the eight or nine boards I own were made by shapers who i call friends, surf with, and live within an hours drive and really respect their craftsmanship.

But dont kid yourself...there are great boards and terrible boards being made by local shapers all over the place.

communication is key if you go custom.
    Last edited by mitchell; Sep 23, 2009 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    I'm as down as anyone with local shapers....all of the eight or nine boards I own were made by shapers who i call friends, surf with, and live within an hours drive and really respect their craftsmanship.

But dont kid yourself...there are great boards and terrible boards being made by local shapers all over the place.

communication is key if you go custom.
    Anyone can make a board these days. Hell i make my own and i live in Amish Country. is my quality up to par yet? nope. Is my surfing level high enough that i can use a performance board to all of its potential. nope. so i am fine with riding my boards till i know i can use a board of top quality.

you want to see his past work before you ask them to make you a board. ask people who have bought from the shaper before.

local shapers are fine to me, my first board was a custom made by a guy who lived near me. But besides that i'm going to talk to my friend at the surf shop i go to tomorrow about my board