LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Not sure the boards are molded, more likely lathed from a 3d rendering of the exact board it is copying. I agree though that a local shaper can tweak a shape just enough to make it magic and keeping the money in the US as much as possible is a great thing. If you pulled all the boards made over seas off the shelves right now there would be a surfboard shortage like no one has ever seen. I wouldn't care one bit because I have been shaping my own boards for a while. I have always had a dream of opening a small shop catering to only local shapers, backyard board builders, one of a kind shapes etc. The prices would be higher but I wonder if there would be enough clientele for a shop like that?

Flexlites are likely CNCed and not molded... which is worse cause it makes it harder to tell the difference between locally made CNC shapes and the foreign junk. It really shows how sad a state surfing is in now that most surfers don't care about supporting surf labor. Everything is me, me, me, my waves, my spot, I want, I want... no one slows down any more to share some stoke and think about the other guy. Opening a store like you suggest is a great idea and a great way to share the stoke of making your own board. Don't know if there's enough demand on the EC. Greenlight has been doing it online and out of Philly for a while now. Hit him up and ask how it's going.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    If I were you I wouldn't be concerned. Most likely in the gloss coat caused by one bang on the bottom etc. Surfboards are nothing more than tools to be used and worn out, and most, if well used don't last much more than a year or two. Worry more about major rail damage and any foam discoloration. A new board is like a new car you notice the first few scratches than it all becomes invisable. I am always amazed at guys who have boards that look brand new 4 years later. Mine last a year at most before looking like a train wreck, although I am very heavy footed.
    Thanks Zippy, I use my board as much as possible so I'm sure it'll get worn pretty quickly. It just looks so sweet new, lol. This is my first board besides a longboard I was borrowing from my buddy for a year who I always surf with. I love the new board, it's very light, but glassed thinly, so far so good.

Images
    Have been buying some supplies from greenlight for a while, just got a good deal on resin and hardener and got a piece of bamboo to try my hand shaping my own keels, should be fun. If I ever get the time to open that shop I am gonna do it, even if it's a break even It would be a great place to put some of my own boards once I get more polished.

[/QUOTE] I am actually picking up a used 6'4 quad fish next week which I'll be doing some repairs to. I am not sure if I'm ready for a 6'4 yet.. but it's a great deal from a buddy so couldn't pass it up. I'm still a beginner.. I'm 5'10 and like 186, not sure how I'll be on a 6'4 but I'm stoked[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean, l went down to a 6'4 last spring, after having a 7'6 for a season, but i have to sayI love my 6'4 quad fish! its the best board I have ever had and I wouldnt trade it for anything.

Good Luck

BeachBlonde

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Blonde 25-6-4 View Post
    Hey how do you test for that? (before you get it waterloged?)
    well, the spidercracks on the bottom of my board are visible and I can look at it and see that water is not getting in, all it is is a crack in the top coat, not like a gaping hole...

you said your using roof racks, are you putting the board nose (kook style) or fins (correct) forward?

Thanks, thats something that allways really bugs me. I have only one board and I cant afford for it to get waterloged

Images

lecture me..

i know how the boards are made and i know how the industry works.. but placebo is an american based company, and they are the ones ultimately benefiting from the cheap labor cost of vietnam... suck on a fatty bro... its not all about mine mine mine... ive ordered customs from tommy and they hold up amazing. im just saying no board i have has compared to the flexlite in durability, and not only that. the day i can afford to buy a 1000 dollar aviso. ill tell you, or another coil i can get snapped in hatteras... no thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by chong View Post
    you said your using roof racks, are you putting the board nose (kook style) or fins (correct) forward?
    I was putting fins up and nose toward my windshield..