LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ding question

Images

Ding question

Would a cloth lamination be required for a ding like this, or could I get away with a suncure slap-job?

Depends on how much effort you want to put into it. Just slapping suncure on it will seal it but it will not last, and will eventually flake off. If it was my board i would laminate a football patch of 4 oz cloth and seal it permanently.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgarbutt View Post
    Depends on how much effort you want to put into it. Just slapping suncure on it will seal it but it will not last, and will eventually flake off. If it was my board i would laminate a football patch of 4 oz cloth and seal it permanently.
    That would require cutting out the bad glass, putting in q-cell filler, then the patch and resin, correct? It's a handshaped epoxy by the way, I've just never really done a full on repair before without bad results.

Quote Originally Posted by ledzepfreak View Post
    That would require cutting out the bad glass, putting in q-cell filler, then the patch and resin, correct? It's a handshaped epoxy by the way, I've just never really done a full on repair before without bad results.
    True any delaminated glass would have to be removed, filled, sanded, resin and glass applied, finely sanded, and sometimes a final coat of resin. But it is hard to tell from that picture if it is even cracked, if it is just a pressure ding I would just leave it alone.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Inletsurf7 View Post
    True any delaminated glass would have to be removed, filled, sanded, resin and glass applied, finely sanded, and sometimes a final coat of resin. But it is hard to tell from that picture if it is even cracked, if it is just a pressure ding I would just leave it alone.
    I can definitely feel cracked glass when I run my hand over it...

What tool would i use to go about cutting out the glass, I tried to use a xacto knife on my old longboard with disastrous results, is the a more precise tool I can use? That's really the part I'm most apprehensive about.
    Last edited by ledzepfreak; Nov 24, 2009 at 01:50 AM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ledzepfreak View Post
    I can definitely feel cracked glass when I run my hand over it...

What tool would i use to go about cutting out the glass, I tried to use a xacto knife on my old longboard with disastrous results, is the a more precise tool I can use? That's really the part I'm most apprehensive about.

Use a Dremel they work the best. You might be able to get away with Sun Cure. Just make sure you get all the air out of it (use the clear plastic that come with the kit) .Once it hardens sand it with 80, 125, 220, 320 then wet sand it with 400 if you want a smooth finish. Gloss coat could be applied but if you dont have it its no big deal.

Sun Cure can be just as good or almost if the prep work is dont right

Is there water under the glass or is it delaminated at all? If it isn't bad you could just sand it and apply 4 oz cloth and make sure the glass goes 2 inches out from any point along the crack. Then sand the edges smooth to the board, recoat if you want it glossier.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Inletsurf7 View Post
    Is there water under the glass or is it delaminated at all? If it isn't bad you could just sand it and apply 4 oz cloth and make sure the glass goes 2 inches out from any point along the crack. Then sand the edges smooth to the board, recoat if you want it glossier.
    I agree-that ding doesnt need to have glass cut out if water didnt get in. I'd rough sand the dented area and surrounding inch...glass over with a patch of cloth...sand smooth...recoat with resin...sand until shiny.

Images
    ^Truth................

10. Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    I agree-that ding doesnt need to have glass cut out if water didnt get in. I'd rough sand the dented area and surrounding inch...glass over with a patch of cloth...sand smooth...recoat with resin...sand until shiny.
    Thank you for simplifying that. Remember, its a surfboard, not surgery. If you screw it up you can always sand it back down again and do it all over. No need to freak out and your not going to break your board if you do it wrong. Oh, and the only way you learn is by making mistakes.

This is another reason to buy an old beater that needs some love. I always felt that if you surf you should know how to fix your dings. Swing by a garage sale or two and find an old board that needs some fixing up. That is the best way to learn how to do ding repair... on a old beater that you don't care about. Perfect the art of ding repair and save yourself cash down the road with a $50 investment on an old garage sale beater board now. Perfect toy for those flat days to keep you busy. Who knows, you might enjoy bringing old boards back to life.