LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Skate Influenced Surfing

Hey I am looking to get a small wave board that is super tiny and light. I want it for small wave skate influenced surfing. My typical hight performance thruster is 6'0 to 6'1 x 18 1/2 x 2/14. I am 5'9 160lbs. I am looking at the Chemistry Boombastik in a 5'8 x 19 1/4 x 2 1/4. Any thoughts? Recomendations on other models? Size? I am unsure of what to get.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

the problem is for small waves you'll need float or you'll bog down and lose speed. check out a ...lost roundnose fish-type shape.

If your looking at high performance shortboards...I have a 6'0 Ultra Lite that is super quick and very light. It def surfs like a skateboard.

If your looking for a fish I just bought a 5'4 CI Fishcuit and love it. It is super fast in the flats and is a great board for small quick summer waves.

Just some suggestions....

boombastic isn't a bad choice, especially with those specs. i tried my buddy's 5'9 lost rnf and it was the closest to a skateboard i've felt. i'm about your height/weight and it was weird because it's small and it feels like there is no nose when you're paddling/dropping in. just like a skateboard though going down the line and turning. it's so easy to move around. if it's any bigger than stomach high i wouldn't ride it though. it's kind of a joke board imo. but others swear by it. if i were you i'd definitely look into it

see post below
    Last edited by Antide Surfboards; Sep 28, 2009 at 06:00 PM.

yeah, I was looking at lost's rnf and I the rocket. They do look sick as well. I hear great things about chem's boombastik in the sense that it is a small wave surf skate but has more of a high performance body and shape. (not so fishy). I want to demo a RNF or a Rocket before I buy one. I have a Chem Dagger in a 6'1 and I love it, I think that is what is gravitating me to the Boombastik.

Quote Originally Posted by mOtion732 View Post
    boombastic isn't a bad choice, especially with those specs. i tried my buddy's 5'9 lost rnf and it was the closest to a skateboard i've felt. i'm about your height/weight and it was weird because it's small and it feels like there is no nose when you're paddling/dropping in. just like a skateboard though going down the line and turning. it's so easy to move around. if it's any bigger than stomach high i wouldn't ride it though. it's kind of a joke board imo. but others swear by it. if i were you i'd definitely look into it
    Stomach high? I've seen them used in closer to head high surf just fine, must depend on the surfer then.

oh i'm not saying it can't be ridden in bigger waves, but i personally prefer a standard shortboard in anything bigger than that

I actually just shaped a board for myself, the same exactly style you are looking for. I am about the same size as you (5'11/165). The board is 5'6 x 20 x 2 9/16. I have taken this board out the past two days, and although the waves were a little bigger then this board was shaped for, it was still super fun.

I surf ocean city, nj and if you are ever in the area and want to try this board out, just let me know...you are more then welcome too. This should help give you a good reference on size and style.

If you are interested let me know and ill throw some pics up.

yo... 5'8 is not that small. For a "super small, skate like board" I would go 5'5 or 5'4.

The key to a "skatey" board is gonna be getting it short, mostly flat and a little thicker. Check out the Rusty Dwart, and the Pod, and the Buiscit from Channel Island. Those boards will give you some ideas on the kinda shape your gonna need.