LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question lost surfboards deteriorating?

hey fellow surfers, i bought a 5'8" lost rocket in june and found myself spending 45 bucks getting the damn skeg box fixed due to the deck being pushed in! a friend of mine got one a couple months ago and told me how the whole damned board blew up!! he said the stringer and deck just fell apart!?! anyone know any info on these incidents and what to do about em?

Images
    unfortunetly lost is an awful organization. they preach hardcore but come out hypocritical. unless you're a lost team rider you're probably getting either a china board or a sub par "ghost" shaper board. the biggest issue with boards dying is the glassing. its too easy to ruin a great shape with bad glassing.

the lost rocket is glassed extra light> thats probably why you loved it at first. as soon its ridden a few times it starts to die.

big factories like lost are victims to bad glassing because of the shear volume of boards going through. you get paid by the job not the hour, so... quality comes after speed.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutch View Post
    ...big factories like lost are victims to bad glassing because of the shear volume of boards going through. you get paid by the job not the hour, so... quality comes after speed.....

Sounds like the only "victims" are their customers.

Not the first story I've heard about their boards falling apart prematurely.

Talking

Ive got a LOST RNF and it's perfect. If your complaining about glass then you should special order your board and SPECIFY that you want more glass. Come on people you need to know that buying a stock board means that you get a stock product. Some people like to bash boards by heavy footing it or just not knowing how to surf. Before you bash a company you should look at your surfing. Stop being so picky and surf it. It's 2009, if you don't know that your surfing ability might call for more glass on your board...then give up. Go get a piece of paulmonia wood and shape your own.

Images
    I have seen that too with there boards , Fin boxes poping out , stringers coming apart and poping out. Its not on there "Stock" boards either. Dosent matter if its a stock board or a custome board. Stringers and Fin boxes shouldnt pop out. Stringers usally pop out when someone to heavy for a board rides it and the the weight of the rider puts pressure on the rails and kinda bending the board down pushing the stringer upward. The fin box might have had air under is and over the summer if the board was in alot of heat the air could have expanded and pushed the fin box up.

Stock board or custome is sholdnt matter. You pay good money for a board it shouldnt fall apart in a few months when no signs of abuse as mentioned from the last post are mentioned

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by matt johnson View Post
    i have seen that too with there boards , fin boxes poping out , stringers coming apart and poping out. Its not on there "stock" boards either. Dosent matter if its a stock board or a custome board. Stringers and fin boxes shouldnt pop out. Stringers usally pop out when someone to heavy for a board rides it and the the weight of the rider puts pressure on the rails and kinda bending the board down pushing the stringer upward. The fin box might have had air under is and over the summer if the board was in alot of heat the air could have expanded and pushed the fin box up.

Stock board or custome is sholdnt matter. You pay good money for a board it shouldnt fall apart in a few months when no signs of abuse as mentioned from the last post are mentioned
    haha you ididot, so what your saying is that a person is riding the board with one foot on each rail making the board flex?? Impossible unless your riding like a kook. Kinda bending the board? Get real..stringers are the spine of a board allowing it to bend. Fin box with air under it?? Wtf air does not cause fin boxes to pop out. Hitting bottom will... Boards only fall apart when you dont know how to ride them..oh and it's custom not custome. I've been selling boards for 10 years and ive never seen any of what you mentioned ever happen on any make of board. Only normal wear and tear. Go to a local surf shop in jersey and tell them what you just posted on here and watch them laugh at you.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nappydreads View Post
    haha you ididot, so what your saying is that a person is riding the board with one foot on each rail making the board flex?? Impossible unless your riding like a kook. Kinda bending the board? Get real..stringers are the spine of a board allowing it to bend. Fin box with air under it?? Wtf air does not cause fin boxes to pop out. Hitting bottom will... Boards only fall apart when you dont know how to ride them..oh and it's custom not custome. I've been selling boards for 10 years and ive never seen any of what you mentioned ever happen on any make of board. Only normal wear and tear. Go to a local surf shop in jersey and tell them what you just posted on here and watch them laugh at you.
    Actually I wasnt refereing to a person standing on the board . I was refering to a person too heavy for a board sitting on it . You see what happens when I guy is 285 and is trying to balance him self on a 6'2 x 19 X dont recall the thickness . Actually a local surf shop owner told me thats why the stringer was poping out of my friends board and he has been in the buisness for 20+ years making , selling and repairing surfboards

As for the finbox poping weather he ran the board to the bottom we dont know cause he hasnt said . But its common sence if there is a void of air , gas , water ect between two objects and its air tight seal well what ever is in the void will expand and contrast depending on temperature if its hot or cold .
    For example if you ever fix and board repair and dont get all the water out of it and the board sits in a non heated cold enviorment like a shed or any place where it is not heated . That water trapped in the board will expand when it turns to ice opeing the repair. The same thing would happen if there was air trapped in the board and it was stored in a exessive heat enivorment. The that may be trapped in the board expands.

From what he has told us we can not say weather or not that the issue's with is boards are from either his abuse or poor craftsmanship.
    Last edited by MATT JOHNSON; Oct 18, 2009 at 12:15 AM.

Nattydread

Lost boards do not hold up all that well and thats a well known fact. Are all rastas in NJ as agro as natty dread lock... The last time I was in NJ I went to the local surf shops to buy LOST stickers for my car but every shop was sold out... nappy dreads must have bought them all.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MATT JOHNSON View Post
    Stringers usally pop out when someone to heavy for a board rides it and the the weight of the rider puts pressure on the rails and kinda bending the board down pushing the stringer upward.
    I used to repair boards for a shop and saw a lot of ...Lost boards with that exact problem...deck compression on both sides of the stringer so the stringer became raised up. Not just heavy guy's boards either either. I just got done repairing my own Lost RNF with the same problem.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ECSeptember View Post
    Lost boards do not hold up all that well and thats a well known fact. Are all rastas in NJ as agro as natty dread lock... The last time I was in NJ I went to the local surf shops to buy LOST stickers for my car but every shop was sold out... nappy dreads must have bought them all.
    Not everyone in NJ is Agro. I never was impressed by anything from Lost since they first came out. All the groms buy that stuff up , where I am at. Sorry you couldnt lower the resale of you car with a LOST sticker.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    I used to repair boards for a shop and saw a lot of ...Lost boards with that exact problem...deck compression on both sides of the stringer so the stringer became raised up. Not just heavy guy's boards either either. I just got done repairing my own Lost RNF with the same problem.
    Yeah it a common problem with them . But Nappy dreads with call you a idiot too so watch out. He must not have put the bong down during science class . It simply knowledge that things expand and contrast under temperature changes.
    Last edited by MATT JOHNSON; Oct 15, 2009 at 02:30 PM.