LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Brian Wynn Surfboards

Who has ordered though this guy before? I am looking for a new shaper (east coast). So I emailed him like the beginning of last week and I still have NOT gotten any response. Is this how he does business? It's been really tough trying to find a GOOD shaper in NJ. I need a shaper that knows at least what I know or more. Most shapers I've talked to recently in the area really don't understand what a east coast board consists of. And I'm shocked they even call themselves shapers.

I need suggestions!

Anyone? Anyone?
    Last edited by Aguaholic; Oct 7, 2009 at 05:46 PM.

Cosmic Bull Surfboards. Call Bill (908-489-2404). www.cosmicbullsurfboards.com

Great boards and great guys to deal with. Operate out of Long Branch at Jakes Gym.

I'll recommend jon ashton in OCMD. I'm in S Jerz and he usually meets me to the ferry to deliver my boards.

Having said that I've not heard anything bad about Wynn.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    Having said that I've not heard anything bad about Wynn.
    I haven't either....I just want a response back.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
    Cosmic Bull Surfboards. Call Bill (908-489-2404). www.cosmicbullsurfboards.com

Great boards and great guys to deal with. Operate out of Long Branch at Jakes Gym.
    Yeah, maybe I will have to check them out. what's the wait time like?

Well, neither have I but the one thing I've learned over the years is the most surfers make piss poor business men. We are too pre-occupied with looking at surf reports and wave conditions to answer calls or even review voice mails.

I'd give serious consideration to Ashton. He really gets the whole east coast wave thing and in 25 years of riding his boards I have never received a board from him that I didn't love. His only negative are those business skills but I get around that by constantly calling him.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    Well, neither have I but the one thing I've learned over the years is the most surfers make piss poor business men. We are too pre-occupied with looking at surf reports and wave conditions to answer calls or even review voice mails.

I'd give serious consideration to Ashton. He really gets the whole east coast wave thing and in 25 years of riding his boards I have never received a board from him that I didn't love. His only negative are those business skills but I get around that by constantly calling him.
    Haha...yeah your probably right! What's Ashton's wait time like?

Cyclical. If he has a blank in stock for the board you want I'd say 4 weeks. It's longer in the spring.

Brian recently lost his assistant, Butchy, to cancer. His glass shop accounts for pretty much ALL of the contract glassing in NJ and most of the northeast. He has had to train new workers and still meet the glassing demands of the other shapers who send him their boards for glassing. I'd cut him a little slack.

I've ordered customs from him. He makes beautiful boards that work well in our waves. If you would still like to use him, PM me and I'll give you his phone number. Are you looking to get a fish, groveler, shortboard???

East Coast Shaper

I don't know anyone in NJ. Tim Nolte in Harbinger, NC is a great guy. He has been shaping for years and is a good business man. His shop is just before you cross the Wrightsville Memorial Bridge to the Banks just above Kitty Hawk. noltesurf@charter.net. He does a variety of shapes which you can check out on his website. Tim will spend the time with you to get the feel of what you want. Usually has some boards you can test ride. He does go to Hawaii and CR on surf trips and will be out of the office for those occasionally. He has shaped a number of long boards for me and some performance short boards for some friends of mine. Has done some really cool air brush stuff too. Ashton has a very good rep around the Delmarva. I have talked to him when he was surfing at Assateague. His boards look good and the people who have his boards like them. "Hunting Beach Snake" Bruce Gabrielson a California transplant to Maryland is doing some shaping again. He started Wavetrek Surfboards in Huntingbeach years ago and is a protoge of the late great shaper Dale Velzy. "Snake" has a website which will give you the info to contact etc. The guy that you have the best rapor with is the one to shape your board. The wait will be worth it to connect with the right guy and get what you want.