LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swell Charts

Swell Charts

I know swell forecasts can vary from different sites/sourcse but nobody else seems to be forecasting any waves for Saturday in NJ. Most others are calling for 1-2 ft max.

I know not every forecast is the same and I hope there are waves but is swell info really expecting chest high waves for the dawn patrol session on Sat???:

I wasn't sure if the models were picking up a strong offshore flow that is genterating waves off the coast a little bit...

Any thoughts?
    ________
    Zx14 vs hayabusa
    Last edited by surfsup; May 8, 2011 at 05:35 AM.

What forecasts are you looking at?

Images
    well swellinfo is'nt the only report saying chest, magicseaweed is saying that it's gonna be like 4-5ft, so there still could be a chance for a fun little swell

Well I dunno about you but magicseaweed.com has some pretty inaccurate forecasting from my history using the site. Then again other areas outside of OJ NJ may have better forecasts.

If your in the south jerz area I would recommend (outside of this site of course!!) surferssupplies.com

It is pretty detailed and on track, unless its been more than a few days since the last time it was updated.

waist to occ chest and weak.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    Well I dunno about you but magicseaweed.com has some pretty inaccurate forecasting from my history using the site. Then again other areas outside of OJ NJ may have better forecasts.
    Well either way I'm gonna check it in the morning. If it's around waist to chest there could be a little something with the incoming tide.

i was looking at some other sources, and it looks like the direction won't be very favorable for us. seems like the swell is going to be SW...

Images
    Pick your favorite south facing beach that holds a short period swell

Images
    It is a SW swell, which can produce short period swells for New Jersey, but the exact direction is crucial as a 5 degree shift makes a big difference. So, the forecasts will likely change with each update, as the SW swell direction will be tweaked, so keep an eye on the updates. Waist to chest high is not out of question at this point, but latest model guidance points to more SW direction than previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    It is a SW swell, which can produce short period swells for New Jersey, but the exact direction is crucial as a 5 degree shift makes a big difference. So, the forecasts will likely change with each update, as the SW swell direction will be tweaked, so keep an eye on the updates. Waist to chest high is not out of question at this point, but latest model guidance points to more SW direction than previously.
    i have a question. around what degree does the west in the sw swell become too much? like, if a true S swell is 180, is it around 185, 190? like, i imagine that short period swell filters in, but when does it become to the point where the direction really doesn't allow for it to show? i'm talking nj, btw.