LOGIN | REGISTER

Hybrid View

Surfing and Careers

Is anybody on the boards trying to get into a surfing related career? Discuss

define surfing related career?

Reping- I know a few guys who do that and they never get to surf cause they are on the road all the time.

Surf Shop Owner-Know a few and they rarely gt to surf (esp in summer) since they are always at the shop.

Shaper-Get to surf more but barely make a living.

Surfing and careers don't mix.

Images
    suck it up and get a higher education then get a job which allows you flexibility to surf (comp-time, work from home, good pay, generous time off). Its sweet.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oipaul View Post
    suck it up and get a higher education then get a job which allows you flexibility to surf (comp-time, work from home, good pay, generous time off). Its sweet.
    exactly, I work 2nd shift so I can hit dawn partol more often , I got weekends off paid hoildays and great time off plus the pay is good too. My job is sweet and I wouldnt trade for a surfing job well maybe if I wanted to open my own surfshop .

All well and good but go find corporate heaven somewhere where you can actually count on waves to complement your precious few hours away from flourescent lighting and cubicles. Delmarva is a poor choice.

I live in the AC area NJ,
    I have a BS in Environmental .

First i like the area, and hour drive north or south covers 90% of the breaks in NJ.
    commutes are possible from Philly or NY, but i never will..
    Second, you wont make any money in the field research field unless you have a Masters or greater.

I have also worked for a shaper making surfboards.
    better water time, but scrapping by. You have to love it.

I have also worked construction in the shore towns.
    Lots of water time, I used to bring my board and suit, paddle out for lunch.
    i always had one eye on the waves, sneek off early if it got good.
    Not much money, but if you own your business, how much you make is up to you(or the economy)