LOGIN | REGISTER

ocean temperature comfort

whats the coldest you would go in just shorts, and no shirt provided the air temperature is reasonable? for me i will go in with just shorts as cold as 65 provided the air temperature is at least 65. once it gets to 65 i put on the suit, and once it gets to 62 or so the shoes, and then eventually the gloves start to come on. 60 degrees and under forget about it. full suit, boots, and gloves. i like being comfortable, and i love just having my shorts on. when the water was still 70 i would be the only guy in just my shorts, and no shirt and felt out of place, but i don't care. no that the water is going under 65 i've gotten start dressing for it again. living in jersey the only times unfortunately i can go in just shorts is between middle of june[late june this year the water took a while to warm up due to the below average spring] and with any luck till the beginning of october.

i'd like to know everyone elses comfort level of water temperature.

60 degrees is when I take off the wetsuit. I have natural insulation.

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States
    Images
    i'm a ***** when it comes to cold water, but its the air that kills me. im about the same as you two. low 60s and more stuff starts to come on

Images
    I wear mine for more protection or rashing up. So i can get a longer surf session. I will wear my 3/2 full all the way up to 68 degrees. I like trunking it, but it tends to shorten my session. Therefore I use the wetsuit alot more!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyandtheskull View Post
    I wear mine for more protection or rashing up. So i can get a longer surf session. I will wear my 3/2 full all the way up to 68 degrees. I like trunking it, but it tends to shorten my session. Therefore I use the wetsuit alot more!
    Same here.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss View Post
    Same here.
    I started wearing my 3/2 last week. Before that I was in Birdwells and and 1mm longsleeve half suite. Looks like the 4/3 and botties will be in order this weekend

I'm such a wus, I can barely stay warm on an August summer morning (water temp in 70's) with my 2 mm thermal rashie. I still shiver at times. If I had an easy on/off 3/2 springsuit or strechy fullsuit I'd wear it all summer around here, but I don't own one at the moment. I've worn my 4/3 sealed/taped seams well into mid/late June (mid/high 60's water temp) and wasn't hot at all but quite comfy.

Honestly, the ony time I've been "warm" with just boardshorts was in Myrtle Beach SC in July and Sarasota FL and Playa Del Carmen-Mexico in June (water temp well into the 80s).

i was in myrtle beach this past july, and it was my first time ever going there. my fiances cousin, and her husband have a few places down there. i was surprised how warm the water was there. it was almost as warm as the gulf in florida in treasure island/st pete/clearwater area usually is right around that time. water temperature was supposed to be like 82. when i would summer in ormond florida as a kid the water was that warm at that time. i didn't bother to bring a board to myrtle beach, and the surf was next to flat that weekend.