LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

EPA's take on beaches

I thought some you might be interesed on how your federal tax $ are being spent concerning beach issues. http://www.epa.gov/beaches/

Images
    Beach replenishment is ridiculous. The EPA needs to push sand out and form a sandbar along the coast instead of wasting money every year with replenishment. Its common sense. Sandbars fluctuate but don't generally get destroyed every year like the stupid replenishment does. For example, Ocean City has a great sandbar and the beach has been huge for a while.

Images
    there is way to many multimillion dollar properties on the beaches along the entire mid atlantic for them to not spend gobs and gobs of our money to protect them. And just pushing sand out is one very temporary solution. The coastal process in our area is dominated by littoral transport (longshore currents) this makes it a tricky situation to try and replenish the beach. At least in OCMD we dont rely to much on hard stabilization (groins, jetties, breakwater). the main thing we utilize here is pumping from offshore and other soft stabilization tactics

Quote Originally Posted by superbust View Post
    For example, Ocean City has a great sandbar and the beach has been huge for a while.
    You haven't surfed OC for very long have you? Beach replenishment has really screwed the sandbars up in the past 15 years or so. Damn, 15 years is a while. Nevermind.

Images
    well I have but not for 15 years, more like 4, and I'm a DE local. Im just saying that because of how bethany beach ended up. It used to be pretty nice with the jetties but now its poop, not to mention the IR inlet too.

Images
    they are doing sand replenishment now in wildwood. I remember when it took you at least 10 minutes to get the water from the street and how there were 3 deep rows of dune grass with acess roads in between them 6 years ago. Now is a 2 minute walk and at high tide the water comes right up to the dunes and the 3 deep rows of dune grass and now 1 row

Images
    just out of curioisty how much better would the waves be if thye never started beach replenishment? i know shorebreaks wouldnt be as frequent ( though i sponge and dont mind the uptown smash). what im saying is even if it never started, waves in the summer wouldnt be that much nicer would they? i mean we could have perfect sandbars but unless there is swell its not like anything with break on them or am i missing something.

I can tell you from my own experience that before replenishment in OCMD, the Carousel used to be one of the top breaks with sick bars and waves breaking about 50 years off the sand. now its shore dump.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by no6rider89 View Post
    just out of curioisty how much better would the waves be if thye never started beach replenishment? i know shorebreaks wouldnt be as frequent ( though i sponge and dont mind the uptown smash). what im saying is even if it never started, waves in the summer wouldnt be that much nicer would they? i mean we could have perfect sandbars but unless there is swell its not like anything with break on them or am i missing something.

In most cases it just better the let the ocean do her magic

Images
    carousel still gets good just gotta kknow when to go out, luckily i can see it break from my house .i thinks its from the obvious beach replenishment, but also from when they made the south jetti longer in oc becuase it blocks the natural flow of current to deposit the sand, anyone agree?