LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Images
    definetely can be used under any wetsuit. i don't think you have to worry about getting shocked. I'm sure they tested it and it's from one of the best companies in the industry not some guy on the corner.

That with a 3/2 could prob get you through Dec./Jan then if you used that with a 4/3 I would say you could go through the winter with it. Imagine if they came out with one that had a detachable hood. That would be sick and would basically increase any of your suits by a mm or two.

Talking

yeah,that would be *****in if it came with a hood that was heated too.it would kill any chill from the wind & i'd be curious to see how it would be easing the shock of those cold water duck-dives!

Images
    I've never even seen a patagonia suit but IMO, I would stick to the surf companies for your suit. They're tried and true and with the technology that has recently come out (double liquid welds, zip systems, etc) I would want my suit from a surf co. not a kayaking co.

never buy a rip curl

ok so.. do not buy and e bomb, they are ment for flexability. the fbomb is ment for warmth. i find that rip curl wetsuits are awlful. their seems are bad.

i would look at a 5/4/3 oneill mutant. which is probably the best deal for your price range.

the quiksilver cypher, patogina, matuse, psycho 2 hooded are all out of your price range.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by souljahsky View Post
    Always buy Rip Curl. You can send it back and they will fix it for free. I send mine in almost every summer to get panels/tape/glue/seams replaced. It only takes a week or so, and they always do a good job. All of the other companies are lame when it comes to customer service/repair. They either want to charge you an arm and a leg (no pun intended), or they take forever.

Conclusion: My rip curl suit has now lasted 7 years, and after sending it back this summer and getting the entire crotchal region replaced, every seam retaped, and a new batwing collar, it is once again brand new.
    i love my quicksilver springsuit & was thinking of trying the Ignite full,until i read this guys post.i may just stick with Ripcurl if they offer this lifetime garantee.most suits would last a long time anyway,but you could affectively not buy another suit until there was some huge change in the technology that made all others obsolete.this would empower the every day surfer to buy a new suit when he WANTED too,not because he had too.i would definately want 1 that was made by a company that has many years experience in the surfing industry.i like that the Patagonia may be super-high end,BUT,i'd hate to get it & find some detail lacking cause it was designed for something else.

x2 on the rip curls. they jsut seem to have issue with their seams lately. I'm a big west and xcel fan.

Smile

man,there really is alot to consider here.i like the guarantee Ripcurl is offering,but i don't want to be constanly sending it in for repair if there quality-control has been neglected on their current line of suits.my Quicksilver is awsome when it comes to quality control.i've had that spring at least 5 years & had NO issues with seems,zipper,nothing.the only thing i've ever fixed on that was the fraying of a velcro tab,that i simply took a match to & fixed the fray instantly.hmmm,lot's to consider here...

I asked a similar question about 6 weeks ago. Since I'm a cheap bastard, I researched not only the brands but also learned about the construction. Specifically, the seams.

Wetsuits that are sealed AND TAPED can provide comfort in water that is 5-10 degrees colder than a suit that does not also have taped seams.

For example, an O'neill Epic 4/3 with sealed seams is water temperature rated at 55degrees and up. It retails for $159 (from wetsuitwearhouse). But, a sealed and taped Quiksilver IGNITE 4/3 is temp rated at 45-50degrees and up. It sells for $269.

The same goes for 5/4 suits. I almost jumped on that XCel Hawai 5/4/3 at whiskey militia until I saw the water temperature rating was only down to 45degrees (is there a damn degree character?). It was still a great deal compared to the original price, but it's thicker than a comparably rated 4/3 that has taped seams. So, it *may* not be as flexible as the 4/3. I don't know so won't speculate. BTW, amazon still has the XCel Hawaii for $245 with free shipping.

Here's my current list of potential buys:

All 4/3s are Sealed AND taped for 45-50 degrees and up:
    ***4/3mm Men's Rip Curl CORE FIRESKIN Full Wetsuit, $240 ***45-50 degrees and up***

4/3mm Men's Quiksilver IGNITE Full Wetsuit, $270, ***45-50 degrees and up***

4/3mm Men's Rip Curl Ultimate E-Bomb Full Wetsuit, $300, ***45-50 degrees and up***

4/3mm Men's Hyperflex AMP Full Wetsuit, $250, ***45-50 degrees and up***

5/4s, sealed and taped:
    5/4/3mm Men's Hyperflex FLOW Hooded Wetsuit 40-45 degrees and up $199.99

5/4/3mm Men's Hyperflex AMP Full Wetsuit 40-45 degrees and up $269.99

5/4/3mm Men's Body Glove FUSION Hooded Wetsuit 40-45 degrees and up $215.00

6/5, sealed and taped:
    6/5/4mm Men's Hyperflex FLOW Hooded Wetsuit 35-40 degrees and up $229.99

Just my .02 cents and worth what you paid. ;-)

I always thought fluid welded seams were way better than taped but they are frought with issues.

Another HUGE factor is zipper. a chest zip is miles above a back zip. BTW, for the money Hyperflex is a great suit.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wallysurfr View Post
    I've never even seen a patagonia suit but IMO, I would stick to the surf companies for your suit. They're tried and true and with the technology that has recently come out (double liquid welds, zip systems, etc) I would want my suit from a surf co. not a kayaking co.
    Obviously you know very little about suits. How can you give advice when you don't even know what a Patagonia looks like. .....So you shouldn't even have an opinion. I have had pretty much every suit you can think of....been surfing for 25 years. Patagonia is the best suit I have ever owned. With my Vapor coming in 2nd. And btw Patagonia can be bought in a surf shop. I'm not saying main stream suits are not good. He asked what the BEST suit was.