LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: saturday

Hybrid View

Images

saturday

forecasts are continuing to show a small low pressure develop northeast of the bahamas, and generate some SE swells our way for Saturday... lets hope this holds. In general these kind of systems are fickle on the models.

Fingers crossed! When do those guards (at the SPOT) start on duty? Memorial day?
    Last edited by Chris Joyner; May 16, 2007 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Do not want to offend - The crew knows which guards I am talking about

Images
    ya, i'm pretty sure they start memorial day weekend.

Whatch your Self!

Wo. Listen up Chris Joyner. Before you go call a lifeguard an idiot, think about the fact that some of these lifeguards are ten times the water men you will ever be. OC lifeguards save over 500 people each year and some of these lifeguards are LAUGHING at the surfers who paddle out every day in knee hi-surf and are claiming it. I love surfring. That is what I do. But I also lifeguard and I admire the north shore posse who is best friends with the local guards on Oahu. There are some lifeguards who don't understand surfing. And why should they? They look out and see kooks day after day charging east coast crap. What does that make a surfer look like...a wus? A lot of real surfers don't even come out in the summer. They hide in the wood work. And if the swell of the summer does come, they know where to go. Lifeguards rule, and a lot of the mid-atlantic top sufers have put their time in on the wooden pine protecting the beaches. Life guards are what drives the beach tourism industry. Good night clubs, summer parties, surf shops, resturants etc. Kooks come to the beach and lifeguards save them. That is how it goes. So if you don't like guards and want to call them idiots because you think you are an incredible pro surfer (yeah right?), move to a deserted island and live it up! I guard for sea colony. If you want to see what a water men is, stop by and I will show you what we do(not as a threat). WE Row, paddle, surfski, swim, run, bodysurf, bodyboard, standup paddle and when the surf hits head hi, we might go get our boards. You'll even see the unit-boys skimmin and flipping out their bodyboards and hanging out with the local guards. Don't talk sh!t on the guard!

Quote Originally Posted by OBlove View Post
    Wo. Listen up Chris Joyner. Before you go call a lifeguard an idiot, think about the fact that some of these lifeguards are ten times the water men you will ever be. OC lifeguards save over 500 people each year and some of these lifeguards are LAUGHING at the surfers who paddle out every day in knee hi-surf and are claiming it. I love surfring. That is what I do. But I also lifeguard and I admire the north shore posse who is best friends with the local guards on Oahu. There are some lifeguards who don't understand surfing. And why should they? They look out and see kooks day after day charging east coast crap. What does that make a surfer look like...a wus? A lot of real surfers don't even come out in the summer. They hide in the wood work. And if the swell of the summer does come, they know where to go. Lifeguards rule, and a lot of the mid-atlantic top sufers have put their time in on the wooden pine protecting the beaches. Life guards are what drives the beach tourism industry. Good night clubs, summer parties, surf shops, resturants etc. Kooks come to the beach and lifeguards save them. That is how it goes. So if you don't like guards and want to call them idiots because you think you are an incredible pro surfer (yeah right?), move to a deserted island and live it up! I guard for sea colony. If you want to see what a water men is, stop by and I will show you what we do(not as a threat). WE Row, paddle, surfski, swim, run, bodysurf, bodyboard, standup paddle and when the surf hits head hi, we might go get our boards. You'll even see the unit-boys skimmin and flipping out their bodyboards and hanging out with the local guards. Don't talk sh!t on the guard!
    I edited my first post but the guards I am referring to live up to the label I applied. I have 20+ years in the ocean, I do not stand up nor do I care about being pro. At the spot I am talking about, 90% of the local BB crew can out swim the guards. In fact, I think we save more people per year than they do.

I didn't mean to offend the overall guard community and it appears I pushed your button. No harm, no foul. I respect everyone that respects the ocean and the people in it. Many guards do great things for many people and I have guarded in the past.

Cheers
    Last edited by Chris Joyner; May 16, 2007 at 05:41 PM.

On another note.....for saturday since the swell will be coming from the SE it should be hitting south oc better right? Am I looking at the maps correct?

Quote Originally Posted by OBlove View Post
    Sea Colony lifeguards are a joke. half of them don't even talk English Chris. Trust me I was a security guard there at one point during my high school years. We were a top-knotch group that did our best to keep everybody safe, unlike the lifeguards who most of the time tried to show off their fancy ATVS, and tell us that we don't have jurisdiction on their beaches....Steve Oboyle and Jordan Obyole were the biggest part of the problem.

I agree with you, as a lifeguard myself at one point (1st choice). 100% of the year-round surf community are better than your average guard. They may not be the strongest swimmer, but most guards don't know how to handle big waves and current. I've seen some good size waves in my time --- Puerto Rico mainly, and most of the lifeguards I know would probably drown. I also know from my friend Nelson Bunting that the Sea Colony guards like to think they are hawaiin -- most of the time they take a lot of help from bethany beach in the summer due to poor training. Just my 2 cents.

Worst guards by far --- Southside State Park.

Will C, I knew someone would know the guards I was speaking of and I am glad I will not see them tomorrow!

It isnt the guards, it is the little tourists with the 600 dollar boards who are practically drowning themselves and others with stupidity. Guards know our objective, and in bb, they respect that. Most times..

Quote Originally Posted by wontonwonton View Post
    It isnt the guards, it is the little tourists with the 600 dollar boards who are practically drowning themselves and others with stupidity. Guards know our objective, and in bb, they respect that. Most times..
    By BB I meant bodyboard not a DE beach.