LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    can someone explain to me how human poo gets in the ocean after a heavy rain? I surfed SL yesterday and although the water wasn't clean, I didn't get the feeling I was paddling through human fecal matter. Swallowed a gulp by accident though, not sick yet.

There has been a problem with the pipe in spring lake dumping tons of bird poo into the water. Chances are thats what you smelt/tasted. It comes from wreck pond.

Dont worry the army corp of engineers will fix it
    http://www.allbusiness.com/governmen...3087683-1.html

In the summer the town closes these beach after it rains because of the pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by wallysurfr View Post
    can someone explain to me how human poo gets in the ocean after a heavy rain? I surfed SL yesterday and although the water wasn't clean, I didn't get the feeling I was paddling through human fecal matter. Swallowed a gulp by accident though, not sick yet.
    if the town has what is known as a "combined sewer system" it is susceptible to sewer overflow. Which is exactly what it means - a discharge of untreated, raw sewage into local lakes, rivers and the ocean. Overflows are caused by too much wastewater for the sewer system or treatment plants to handle i.e. after heavy rainstorms. To relieve pressure in the system and minimize backups into homes and businesses, the excess sewage is released into local waterways.

Wreck pond in Spring Lake is GROSS, Esp. after the amount of rain we had on saturday night. Why do you think the last street next to the lake is called BROWN Rd.

Images
    hahah! I doubt that's why it's called Brown Rd. But you're right that pond is gross. My wife was looking at a house in SL on the north end of the pond until I told her how nasty it is.

Images
    I took a poop in the ocean back during boardshorts weather... maybe it was mine?

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    Pretty sure I surfed with poop this AM in Southern Monmouth Co.
    That's New Jersey for ya

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    if the town has what is known as a "combined sewer system" it is susceptible to sewer overflow. Which is exactly what it means - a discharge of untreated, raw sewage into local lakes, rivers and the ocean. Overflows are caused by too much wastewater for the sewer system or treatment plants to handle i.e. after heavy rainstorms. To relieve pressure in the system and minimize backups into homes and businesses, the excess sewage is released into local waterways.
    Thank you, it makes sense, but a lot of questions come to mind. Do all towns have the combined sewer system? Where can you find out about this? Do the sewage treatment plants in differenct towns have different capacities to deal with this?
    Ultimately, I'd like to find out which town's beaches would be cleaner after a heavy rain. I never want to experience pooh in da face again!

Images
    There's just something about it, pooping in the ocean makes me feel so much better than on the toilet.