LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

glassing around futures fin boxes?

anyone have any experience shaping their own boards and using futures fin boxes? the kits on foamez.com look pretty straight forward but they come with glass on fins and i would rather use futures or fcs fusion boxes.
    ________
    GSX1100F
    Last edited by JDallam; Jan 19, 2011 at 07:00 AM.

i have installed futures into my boards. the boxes are installed before the board is glassed, and then they are glassed over. if you have any specific questions, let me know and ill help you out.

Also if you are thinking about shaping your own board for the first time, look into greenlight surfboard supply, they are located in philly and have starter kits. Brian is a super cool guy and you would be able to save on the hefty shipping charges by pick up the kit yourself, if you are in the area. the starter kits are all with eps foam keep in mind though.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JDallam View Post
    anyone have any experience shaping their own boards and using futures fin boxes? the kits on foamez.com look pretty straight forward but they come with glass on fins and i would rather use futures or fcs fusion boxes.
    I've made about 20 boards with Futures. I picked up router bits and a metal guide jig that cuts the foam for the side boxes (3/4" depth) and center box (1/2" depth). There are expensive futures jigs available as well. bottom line you need something to guide your router - hand cutting with a dremel tool / barrel grit attachement will work but will look a bit sloppy. I'm sure there are many other ways to cut the shaped blank to fit the futures boxes.

Tape the slot shut, glue the boxes in with resin/cabosil mix NOT q-cell. Epoxy resin will heat up but ive still have used the fast cure epoxy for futures without problems..actually ive found the leash cup install heats up more. But just set up a fan to blow on it as it sets up.

Two football patches over the installed boxes under the lamination.

If you are shaping your first board i recommend against EPS. Poly is easier. You can still glass with epoxy resin - the last several poly boards ive made ive glass with epoxy and like that combo a lot.

4. ...and if you don't mind my .02 worth... utilize the search feature at www.swaylocks.com

There is a wealth of information there that can walk you through almost any surf craft building question you might have. You would never even have to log in or ask anything, just use the search feature. It's incredible.

futures boxes ...

When I installed them I first figured out exactly where to place them and then traced a line around them. Then I took the fin box away and cut along the line with an exacto knife. That way you'll get a clean outside cut. You can ream out the inside part with a dremel tool or even with the exacto knife.

Images
    Glass on fins are super easy to do and really satisfying when they come out nice. Just glassed on a set of hand shaped bamboo keels and they are my favorite part of the board.

Check out ProBox fin systems. A thruster install set costs $55 bucks and comes with a router bit, fin jigs, and three boxes. The jigs are reusable. You can use a cheep Harbor Freight trim router ($25 or so?) to route out the box. Its a pretty simple and straight forward install done after the lam but before the hotcoat. Ive done 5 boards with them, no failures. One quad fish even fell off the wall rack (the TOP wall rack, about 6' high) and landed on the concrete floor. The whole rail got crushed despite 3 layers of 4oz S cloth but the box is still perfectly intact. Needless to say..... its strong.

Greenlight sells them- http://stores.greenlightsurfsupply.c...ox+Fin+Systems

And here is the home page- http://www.proboxhawaii.com/

They have a good installation guide and instructional video. IMHO its a no-brainer for the backyarder who only does a board every month or two.

I have never installed FCS or Futures so I cant really comment on them. The guy whose shop I use really likes the new FCS Fusion boxes though.

And, as Mofo suggested, check out swaylocks.

PM me if youve got any other questions.

Little bit of layered roven woven, some sanding, some shmu, and stick her on! Sand, final gloss, and there you go, strong custom fins at your leisure!

one other thing i just thought of, watch the video in the link below. its from the future fins website and it shows you how to install them. That should help some.

http://www.futuresfins.com/manufacture.php

10. Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    Glass on fins are super easy to do and really satisfying when they come out nice. Just glassed on a set of hand shaped bamboo keels and they are my favorite part of the board.
    I LOVE glassed in fins. Most of my boards are glassed in, the rest LokBox.
    Speaking of Bamboo... here is my daily driver with glassed in bamboo fins (Marlin 101's)....