LOGIN | REGISTER

View Poll Results: Choose one

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Say nothing keep surfing as if it never happened

11 15.71%
  • Drop in on him on his next couple waves

12 17.14%
  • Say something loud enough to your buddy so that he hears you and knows that's not gonna fly

15 21.43%
  • say something like "Did you hear me call you off?" or "Why did you just drop in?"

26 37.14%
  • Surf harder, don't respect lineup, jockey for position and get everything you can

4 5.71%
  • Tell him to meet you on the beach

2 2.86%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Images

What do you do when someone drops in on you?

Surfed last night, 4 guys sitting off the rocks, I had the outside, dropped into a bomb set, was about to pull into the barrell (right in front of the rocks/boils everywhere) see someone start paddling, scream YOOOOO! and pull in, he drops in anyway I get barrelled for a few seconds until his drop closes the barrel, I go through the doggie door and he keeps riding down the line.

Normally I would expect him to pull out immediately and if not, an apology once we're both back out there. Neither. What would you do?

Images
    Well... first and foremost.. he's a clown for doing that period. But there is a slight chance he might not of heard or saw you... so I'd let it go the first time and if it happened again, I'd step up and say something.

Images

That's Easy

Go "Dora" on him. Unfortunately that's not one of the choices you offered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBj7y...ayer_embedded#
    Last edited by MDSurfer; Nov 5, 2009 at 01:10 PM.

Images
    give him the heads up, Im always respectable when it comes to me dropping in and accidentally cutting someone off so I expect the same respect back. Probably wouldn't yell at him or anything but atleast be like yo you cut me off and I definitely called you off the wave.But really, not much else you can do unless youre hardcore and kick guys asses in the lineup like this smiley would

a stern (but nice) talking too should be the first offense but you ought to man up and do it your self instead of being passive aggressive and say it loud enough to a buddy hoping the guy hears.

I had this happen to me this past Sunday. Wave was coming in and I had the inside but had to paddle to my right a bit to get the better part of the peak. The guy next to me decided to take the wave and drop in. I followed him down the line for a bit then bailed. The surf was great so I just gave him a look and didn't say anything (he wiped out right after I bailed), I knew there would be plenty more waves. Plus I was surfing alone and he was with like 5 other guys.

Completely agree with aka pumpmaster. A stern but nice talking to is required to make sure it doesn't happen again. I've always found that most times people apologize before I even say anything. It's usually something along the line of them not seeing or hearing me before it was too late.

Images
    no matter how nice you are to someone dropping in on you, 50/50 chance they'll say sorry I did'nt hear or see you and they will do it again, and again, and again, but beating the crap out of them won't solve the problem either. I found if you jump on their board every time they move down the line.

why don't you think a beating will cure their issue?

Images
    This is interesting. Last night I went with option 3. I paddled back out and my buddy was like "how was that one?"

I replied with "it was good until I got dropped in on, probly would have been one of my best barrells of the year. Oh well!"

His buddy heard this and reported back to him when he got back out there. But normally I would say something like "How was my wave?" Give him the chance to explain himself (may have been an honest mistake) and then kept surfing.

I can honestly say that I have not dropped in on anyone in about 2 or 3 years. It just ruins the wave for me knowing I just did that to someone. Maybe that's why I get steamed when someone out there doesn't even take the 1/2 second to turn their head and make sure no one else is already on it.