LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    what bugs me the most is that Surfrider is making it seem that untreated waste is what is getting dumped.

Images
    if the original post is correct then the outfall would be nearly two miles out.

in many southern states there is a water main running through town dedicated to irrigation that is reclaimed water i.e. treated sewage and deemed suitable for residential irrigation applications - yes the sprinklers that all the kids play in during the summer is treated sewage, that is why you rarely hear of watering restrictions during drought conditions for most florida towns. I doubt such applications would be allowed if it was loaded with dangerous bacteria etc.

as for nutrient loading - i don't know but would imagine the ocean is probably better equipped for handling that than the bay since it is a much larger ecosystem.

anyone know what the plan is to do with what they remove from the sewage to make it safe for discharge ?

would like to clarify

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    what bugs me the most is that Surfrider is making it seem that untreated waste is what is getting dumped.
    I am a member of the Delaware Chapter of the Surfrider Foundation and would like to clarify that the Surfrider Foundation is not saying that it is untreated waste. If you are referring to the image of the lady on the toilet, it is merely to convey a striking message to grab people's attention and get the word out that there ARE alternatives out there that are better than just placing a pipe in the ocean for TREATED effluent.

There are studies out there that show even pumping treated waste into a body of water as large as the ocean, can still have an adverse effect. I am still learning about all of the research as well ( and there is a lot to be found on the web). One report that was discovered by a member can be found here: http://surfrider.org/delaware/07-chlorophyll.html Here is another helpful link that is of interest. http://www.arcatamarshfriends.org/

I agree with another post on here that the S. Bethany and OC pipes should also be addressed. The ocean and all waterways are everyone's and we should all be aware of what is being done to them. I personally feel that Surfrider Foundation is a good organization that HELPS bring this issues to light.

There are many different pros and cons out there for all the sides and it is a tough decision to make. I feel that in a World and Nation where we are trying to find better alternatives....why give up so fast in our own towns and just take the easy way out?
    Last edited by ondahead; Nov 10, 2009 at 04:47 PM.

you are using misleading advertising to prompt people to show up. Pretty shady if you ask me.

Clarification 2

The Delaware Chapter of Surfrider Foundation has never stated that untreated sewage was going to be intentionally pump into the ocean.

However, once ocean outfall pipes are in place there are no guarantees that there is will never be a failure in the system or overages which exceed system capacity and which will allow raw or partially treated sewage to flow directly into the ocean. This scenario has happened in the past with ocean outfall.

The residents/homeowners of Rehoboth Beach are primarily concerned about the cost of the two proposals and the increases to their utility bill as well as giving up sole control over their sewage treatment to Sussex County.

However, If a viable alternative to ocean outfall exists Surfrider Foundation Delaware Chapter feels that would be a better choice given the potential to reuse treated wastewater and not simply pump it into the ocean. Also I strongly believe that the main reason all of the Rehoboth Beach residents live there and own homes there IS because of the proximity to the ocean itself. Why besides the obvious money aspect would any resident want to pressure the Town Officers into voting for a project that would have the potential to endanger the ocean ecosystem were they live and their families who enjoy vacationing in it?

Again, any outfall or land based application will be treated wastewater and anyone who enjoys the ocean and beaches should seriously consider helping protect that environment which gives them so much in return.

Surfrider Foundation and the Delaware Chapter are committed "to the protection and enjoyment of the world's oceans, waves and beaches, for all people, through conservation, activism, research and education."

If you don't believe this you are either uninformed, misinformed or simply don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by nappydreads View Post
    Well just to clear the air Beach Blonde, Surfrider had over half of the attendance in the meeting last saturday. Didn't see you there. As far as blogging like a kook, I must say you have quite the nerve to speak of this since it's helping us surfers out. If you want to be negative then don't post anything at all. Again people this is a tool to get the surfers all together to fight for our water quality. If we have to do it through BLOGGING LIKE A KOOK THEN I'M GOING DOWN SHREDDING!
    Im not a part of surfrider, I dont live any where near any chapters. Wish i was. Sorry to piss people off.

anyone know what the plan is to do with what they remove from the sewage to make it safe for discharge
    Sell it to McDonald's to convert into Grade D beef.

Quote Originally Posted by SkegLegs View Post
    Sell it to McDonald's to convert into Grade D beef.
    hahaha, nice! Check this out! http://www.arcatamarshfriends.org/marsh.php
    In California, they use the solid waste for compost and the city uses it on their landscaping, etc. Now that's pretty awesome!
    REUSE.

I'm glad to see that people are at least questioning this and debating it instead of just accepting the "enviro-emergency" that some may be trying to portray. I think you need to be informed to have a solid opinion, regardless of which side you fall on. As far as which is better, I'm sure there are land ecosystems that a land based solution could affect as well. I think Surfrider sometimes does themselves a disservice by jumping on the ocean eco side of every issue without actually comparing the impacts on other aspects of life (offshore drilling is a good example of this). The bottom line is, this stuff has to go somewhere unless someone knows how to stop producing it. I obviously don't as my post here shows.

Images

Link?

Is there a link to a website with more information on this?